The overall performance of your vehicle is directly dependent on the founding parts – such as your struts. From the number of struts to their quality, you cannot compromise on either if you want to drive around smoothly.
I recently fell into a similar hiccup with my SUV. I felt like I had no control while steering and the car would jump recklessly on bumpy terrains. After a few failed solutions, I finally replaced the worn-out struts with some Monroe ones.
Let me tell you – not only did the new struts solve the existing hiccups, but they also enhanced the overall driving experience. Over the past few weeks, I experimented with a few other Monroe struts to see if they were up to the mark.
In this article, I’m going to sum up the top 3 Monroe quick strut reviews in my experience. I had to know for myself if the initial encounter was simply a beginner’s fluke or not. After going over today’s handpicked quick strut reviews, you too, will find the answer to that lingering question.
Top 3 Best Monroe Quick-Strut Reviews
Struts are such an essential component that if they malfunction, the entire system falls apart from within. Hence, it’s important that whichever struts you pick, are super reliable in terms of both performance and durability.
Take a look into the features, benefits, and respective pros and cons of these Monroe quick struts I reviewed recently.
1. Monroe Quick-Strut 171347R [Designated Strut Assembly]
If you’re looking to purchase a single quick strut at a reasonable price, then this is the one you should check out.
Features and Benefits
- Material: The Monroe 171347R is equipped with OE-style bearings for long-lasting performance in compatible cars. Additionally, it features SAE-grade mounting bolts for extra security throughout the installation and the rides.
- Steering Smoothness: The premium-quality bearing plates in the Monroe quick-strut 171347R help to get rid of both friction and memory steer. The 171347R is a strut with a machined exterior for upper positions in the front tires. Hence, it sets the tone for steering smoothness if installed properly and works to maintain steering consistency too.
- Weight Distribution: Since the strut fills up the upper positions in compatible vehicles, it takes the grunt of the overall weight distribution for proper sustainability. Not only does the upper spring seat in the 171347R keep the bounciness in check, but it also inhibits the overall vibration.
- Rust-Resistant Coil Springs: The coil springs are manufactured from top-grade US steel and they’re further coated or painted with rust-resistant chemicals.
- Premium Boot Kit: The boot kit is why this specific Monroe strut works well with not just cars, but trucks as well. The kit protects the strut from external dirt, debris, etc. There’s also a failsafe bumper to protect the spring when the bottom suspension wears out over time.
Trending Post: Top Rated 6.0 Powerstroke Injector Review
- Affordable and lightweight
- Easy installation
- Great stock suspension
- Takes time to get rid of the bounciness
- Noisier than expected
The Monroe Quick-Strut 171347R is the most affordable option on today’s list. If you’re in the market for lightweight quick struts for heavy-duty vehicles, you should check out these struts right away.
2. Monroe Quick-Strut 171128L [Coil Spring Assembly]
If you’re tired of hour-long strut replacement sessions, you’ll absolutely love installing the Monroe 171128L quick struts.
Features and Benefits
- Material: The Monroe 171128L quick struts are made to last with the help of high-quality steel and welding techniques. They offer enhanced structural durability compared to contemporary quick strut arrangements.
- Fast Installation: You can reduce the downtime from over an hour to just 10-15 minutes with these quick struts. For instance – you don’t need to do the whole replacement maneuver with a spring compressor. The strut comes with a fully assembled unit, ready to go at a moment’s notice.
- Vehicle Adaptability: The vehicle adaptability mechanism is a personal favorite feature of Monroe Quick-Strut 171128L. The coil spring is specifically designed to conform to the mounting height of respective cars for a smooth transition.
- OE Performance: The 171128L struts are OE-optimized for seamless functionality and maneuverability. From uniform steering to sudden ones – the enhanced shock absorbers will help the car to stay in form throughout the entire ride.
- Reduced Memory Steer: Memory steering can lead to fatal accidents, especially with worn-out struts. The 171128L quick struts are structurally optimized to reduce the instances of memory steering as much as possible.
- Modern-style struts
- Increased maneuverability
- Supports a majority of the vehicle’s weight
- Not great for heavyweight tires
- Produces a lot of noise even with proper lubrication
The Monroe Quick-Strut 171128L would be the perfect fit for cars that require a quick and easy strut replacement.
3. Monroe Quick-Strut 171661 [Ride Height Restoration]
Lastly, I really enjoyed using the Monroe 171661 struts for my 1999 Pontiac. I’d recommend going for these struts if you want an all-star arrangement for your beloved four-wheel.
Features and Benefits
- Integrated Strut Assembly: The packages feature coil springs and contemporary bearings alongside the struts. You can choose to retain the previous mounting nuts and bolts here. However, make sure to spray the nuts and bolts with lubricants such as WD-40 beforehand to decrease friction.
- Application-Specific Restoration: The coil spring in the Monroe 171661 is neatly calibrated to accommodate vehicles of varied designs and specifications. After installing the struts with proper calibration, they’ll automatically restore the ride height by distributing the weight evenly.
- Superior Tube: In addition to having a rust-resistant spring and bearing plates, the Monroe 171661 also features a superior-quality tube to support the weight of the coil spring. In addition to supporting the structural basis, it helps to decrease noise in the upper seat by muffling the vibrations.
- Superior Shock Absorption: The engineered OE performance is responsible for the superior shock absorption operation of the Monroe quick strut 171661. The strut helps keep the vehicle steady on the road and dissipates the recoiling vibrations before it reaches the passenger cabin.
- Steering Precision: The Monroe 171661 struts can improve the overall performance of the vehicles by inducing steering precision alongside shock absorption and noise suppression. The struts prevent memory steering in order to ensure the precision and smoothness of the maneuverability.
- Best set of struts for the money
- Highly durable and sturdy
- Distributes the weight to reduce body sway impeccably
- The vehicle drifts while steering without proper alignment
- An insane build-up of crud due to heat retention
The Monroe Quick-Strut 171661 excels in terms of both efficiency and affordability. I’d highly recommend going after these struts if you want a reliable & consistent performance.
How To Get The Right Monroe Quick-Strut?
You’ve already gone over the specifications of the three best Monroe struts in the market. Now, let’s take a step back and find out how to know which quick strut assembly is suitable for your respective vehicle –
The material directly influences the OEM quality of struts. High-quality steel can ensure enhanced shock absorption and improve the overall noise quality. Plus, the gears won’t feel as clunky while steering the vehicle abruptly.
Number Of Struts
Generally, the assembled packages already come with a set of 4 struts, 2 for the front tires and 2 for the rear ones. Hence, with the Monroe quick strut assemblies, you don’t have to worry about the number of struts separately.
However, it’s not a bad idea to invest in a fifth strut if you can afford to. That way, you can reduce the workload immensely if you need to switch to the spare tire mid-road.
It’s not going to matter if the struts are made from industry-grade material if they don’t have proper insulation. The bearings should bear a decent rubber-to-steel bonding to prevent not one but two major issues.
One – the insulating layer will help to reduce the metal-to-metal friction between the struts & the corresponding bolts. Without this rubber layer, friction would generate a lot of extra heat while steering the vehicle.
Consequently, the heat would cause the struts to wear out. And two – the rubber also helps to muffle the overall noise. With high-quality rubber, you get high-quality suppression.
The Monroe struts will come with a set of instructions to let you know which vehicles they can work well with. For instance – the Monroe 171347R can pair up nicely with both cars and trucks. Again, the struts don’t claim to be a good fit for trucks and other heavy vehicles.
Monroe Struts vs KYB vs. Detroit vs. FCS ? – What’s the Difference
If you’re looking to purchase a complete strut assembly, you’ll hardly find a better option than the Monroe struts. Here’s a comparative analysis and comparison of the Monroe quick struts vs KYB vs Detroit vs FCS varieties to help you make an informed decision –
OEM Quality and Durability
When it comes to quality and durability, Monroe stands out as the clear winner. KYB struts offer more durability while Monroe struts offer more shock absorption. Detroit and FCS struts, on the other hand, experience a handful of metal-on-metal contact on bumpy roads. Consequently, they produce a lot of noise and the springs wear out really fast.
Range of Options
Monroe offers a wide range of options to suit different vehicles and driving styles. They have struts for sedans, SUVs, and trucks, and their products are customizable to fit specific needs. KYB also offers a good range of options, but Detroit and FCS may not provide as much customization.
Value For Money Products
If you’re looking to go for *cheap* struts, then feel free to go for any of the Detroit or FCS varieties. Again, if the price isn’t an issue and you simply want the best performance, go for the KYB varieties without a second thought.
But, if you want premium performance within an affordable range, then the struts are just for you. They’re one of the best choices if you’re in the market for value-for-money products with a decent warranty card.
Only KYB and Monroe struts can provide you with a decent enough steering experience on the road. Both the Detroit and FCS struts will wear out as soon as you hit wild terrains. You won’t have to worry about such fallacies with the Monroe struts due to the enhanced shock absorption effect.
Monroe is a well-established brand that has been in the suspension business for over a century. They have built a reputation for producing high-quality, reliable products. KYB and Detroit are also reputable brands, but FCS may not have the same level of brand recognition and trust.
How To Install The Quick Struts Correctly?
Let’s face it – no one wants to receive a fat check every time something or the other goes wrong with the struts. Furthermore, you can’t always have access to the services.
So, looking to replace the worn-out Monroe struts by yourself? Here are a few tricks to keep up your sleeves –
- Get out of the old assembly and clean the surrounding areas.
- Take out the new strut assembly from the package.
- Check to see if all the accessories are there properly.
- Get the necessary tools such as – screwdrivers, jack stands, angle gauges, etc. to mount the new assembly.
- Take out the tires (it’s easier to replace the struts one wheel at a time) and raise the vehicle with the help of jack stands).
- Figure out the camber angle by using the angle gauge.
- Make sure to properly disconnect the brake lines, steering stabilizer bars, etc. before taking out the existing struts.
- Follow the instructions to put together the strut assembly.
- Go over the manufacturer’s specs regarding the torque.
- Loosely install the upper mounting nuts first.
- Use the camber angle to figure out the positioning of the lower mounting nuts of the quick strut assembly.
- After installing the lower mounting bolts, lower the vehicle.
- Use the torque preferences to reposition the upper and the lower mounting bolts in an alternating pattern.
Quick-Strut DIY Installation Video
FAQs About Quick Struts
How to know whether the problem lies within the strut?
Clunking noise, especially while trying to steer in a different direction is a very clear indication of strut problems. Additionally, you’ll notice a huge imbalance in the engine power i.e. you’ll be receiving a low output for high input.
Is it a good idea to replace the strut assembly entirely?
No, it’s not a fiscally ideal idea to replace the entire strut assembly without a proper cause. If the strut performance feels comparatively slow, then you should try replacing the bearings first. Replace the other parts if you find the strut itself malfunctioning due to incompetence.
Do all Monroe struts increase the ride height?
The Monroe struts are infamous for increasing the height of vehicles in most cases. And it’s not easily fixable either since the suspension system directly influences the shock absorption mechanism of the strut assembly.
Will damaged coil springs damage the strut assembly?
Low-quality coil springs can become rusty over time and in turn, they can affect the strut performance indirectly. Initially, the friction between the two will lead to minor sparks within the assembly, weakening the structure.
Afterward, the struts will start to make a hollow noise and eventually malfunction without proper treatment.
What are the drawbacks of using different struts for the front and rear tires?
Ideally, if you can maintain the height restoration, then you can use different pairs of struts within the same vehicle. Additionally, you’ll need to make sure that the weight is distributed evenly and properly throughout the wheels.
So, there you have it. In today’s write-up, my initial intention was to round up the best Monroe quick strut reviews. But in hindsight, hopefully, this article helped you to find the best struts overall for your respective vehicle types as well.
The Monroe Quick-Strut 171661 would be my top choice, hands down, in terms of both affordability and performance. And if you are on an even tighter budget, I’d recommend going for the Monroe Quick-Strut 171347R instead.
If needed, you can always revisit the buying guide section for more information on quick strut assemblies. Also, make sure that whichever package you choose, the struts can take the strain from the engine. Otherwise, they’ll wear out soon enough & you’ll have to change gears again.