Whether you drive on and off terrain, all-terrain tires can be highly beneficial for heavy-duty vehicles. You can count on them for flexible daily commutes, load-lifting, and carrying. But can you rely on every all-terrain tire found in the market?
The answer is obviously NO. No matter how attractive the marketing of the brands seems, you must always look into the tire’s quality and features to understand exactly what they offer. The best of them should offer more flexibility, smooth riding experience on and off-road, and more.
However, going through all the tires available in the market and trying them will take you a lifetime to figure out which one would be best for your all-terrain truck or SUV. And this is where I step in.
I went gone through the market many more times than I could count, checked various tires from different brands, and spoke to many experts to find suitable tires for my terrain vehicle. In the end, I have managed to pick 5 of the best 265 70r17 all terrain tires. And today’s article contains my reviews on them, along with buying guides and tips.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Best 265 70r17 All Terrain Tires Review
- 2 1. Falken Wildpeak AT3W Radial Tire
- 3 2. GT Radial Adventuro AT3 Tire
- 4 3. NITTO Ridge Grappler Radial Tire
- 5 4. BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 Radial Tire
- 6 5. Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT All-Season Tire
- 7 How To Choose The Best 265 70r17 All Terrain Tires
- 8 Compatibility
- 9 Thread And Groove
- 10 On And Off-Road Performance
- 11 All-Weather Performance
- 12 Noise Level
- 13 Load Capacity
- 14 Durability And Warranty
- 15 Customer Feedback
- 16 How To Mount An All-Terrain Tire
- 17 Breaking The Beads
- 18 Removing The Old Tire
- 19 Mounting The New Tire
- 20 All-Terrain vs Highways Tyres – Which One to Choose?
- 21 FAQs About 265 All Terrain Tires
- 22 How are all-terrain tires different than regular tires?
- 23 How long do all-terrain tires last?
- 24 When do I need Off-Road Tires?
- 25 Do more aggressive all-terrain tires perform better?
- 26 Benefits of Using All Terrain Tires
- 27 Final Words
Top 5 Best 265 70r17 All Terrain Tires Review
1. Falken Wildpeak AT3W Radial Tire
The first one on my list is the Falken Wildpeak AT3W All-Terrain Radial Tire. This tire is famous for its higher load capacity, durability, and ability to withstand any weather. While the tire is quite heavy and expensive, you can expect nothing but an incredibly satisfying performance from it.
Features and Benefits:
- Off-Road Performance: The tire happens to have the deepest thread depth among all all-terrain tires, making it more reliable for driving on heavy snow days. On top of that, the widepeak design of the thread prevents stones from sticking in, which allows your vehicle smoothly drive through rough and rigid roads.
- Noise Level: If you are tired of your old tire’s constant noise, you should try using this tire. I have found more comfort in driving with this model as it does not create annoying screeching sounds, especially when driving during snowy days.
- Load Capacity: The Falken Wildpeak AT3W All-Terrain comes with an excellent load capacity of 3195 pounds. That makes it one of the top load-bearing tires in the market.
- Heat Diffuser Technology: And then there is heat diffuser technology used on the lower sidewalls. It prevents the tire’s internal walls from heating up.
- Fuel-Efficiency: You should know that the Falken Wildpeak AT3W All-Terrain tire is pretty heavy. With the 53 lbs of weight, it will certainly put some stress on the vehicle. And the drawback of using heavy tires is that they do lower your vehicle’s fuel efficiency.
- Mileage Warranty: Despite the drawback I just mentioned, what made me draw to the tire once more is its warranty coverage. The tire comes with a 5-year warranty, including 55,000 miles of threadlife warranty, covered by the manufacturer.
- Suitable for off-road dry, wet r snowy tractions
- Has a heavy load capacity
- Does not produce unnecessary noise
- Offers smooth and comfortable riding experience
- Has a heat-defusing technology to prevent overheating issues
- Very durable and reliable
- Heavyweight tire lowers fuel-efficiency
2. GT Radial Adventuro AT3 Tire
The GT Radial Adventuro AT3 P265/70R17 113T is an all-terrain and an all-season tire. Compatible with pickups and SUVs, this heavy-duty tire offers strong traction and performance. That alone makes it one of the most reliable off-road all-terrain tires.
Features and Benefits:
- Off-Road Performance: If you see the tire directly or from pictures, you will notice that it has a dual-purpose thread pattern. And it also contains a special rubber compound. Both of these features make it a reliable performer for off-road driving.
- Stability And Load Capacity: If you are riding on soft terrains and need something that has a better grip on off-terrain roads, this is your champion. While some users found a slight issue with balancing the tires, they worked really well for me.
- Traction Consistency: Notice how the center ribs are like the shape of S? Then, within the threads, you can see 3D Chamfered-Edge Grooves. This design offers better traction consistency and prevents stones, rocks, mud, or any other debris from sticking to the tire. And not stuck-up debris on the tire means no bumpy rides.
- Noise Reduction: Just like many other users, I am also pleased with how the tire testing turned out for me. Its superb design barely causes any vibration, and you hardly hear any annoying noise. And that offers a more comfortable drive for daily commutes.
- User-Friendliness: Compared to the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, this GT Radial Adventuro AT3 is more lightweight. Weighing only 36.9 pounds, you can handle this one with more ease, especially if you are the one installing or changing the tires. Besides, if you are on a budget, this one can be a money-worthy option.
- Comes at a reasonable price
- Offers better stability and control
- Suitable for on and off-road driving during any season
- Almost noiseless
- Some users found trouble with balancing the tire
3. NITTO Ridge Grappler Radial Tire
I own a heavy-duty beasty truck that needed off-road tires. And when I tested the NITTO Ridge Grappler, it turned out it is best for both on and off-road driving. And most importantly, it helps me get through rough terrains at any time of the year.
Features and Benefits:
- Hybrid Build: The first thing you should know about this tire is that it is a mix of mud-terrain and all-terrain tires. This alone makes the tire suitable for both on and off-road performance.
- All-Season Performance: The tire’s description will tell you that it is a non-winter tire. However, you can still expect a comfortable and reliable performance even in winter. At the same time, I must tell you that since the tires are not designed for winter or deep snow, you must expect less grip on the road during that time.
- Tolerable Noise Level: The Nitto Ridge Grappler is not exactly the most silent tire if you are looking for one. But it is not that loud, either. The tire will make a minimum humming sound, which is comparatively much less than many off-road or mud terrain tires.
- Threadline And Traction: You will also notice that this tire has a variable thread design with dual sidewalls and Z-like patterns on the grooves. Such a design helps the vehicle move without many bumps and vibrations and offers better traction.
- Built To Last: The tires will not bow to pressure because it has 3,195 pounds of load capacity. And even after going through various sunny and blizzard days of the year, you can expect the tires to be around for a long time. Mine is still going strong after driving around 30000 miles.
- Low noise performance
- Offers an excellent traction
- Performs with enough stability both on and off-road in almost any weather
- Very durable
- Super strength and load capacity
- Quite expensive
- Comes with a limited warranty
NITTO Ridge Grappler Radial Tire Video Review
4. BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 Radial Tire
When reviewing the best 265 70r17 all-terrain tires, how could one not mention the brand that literally introduced the very first Radial tire? BF Goodrich’s radial tires have been in the market for over 40 years, making them one of the best and most reliable tires for any road condition.
Features and Benefits:
- Built For A Better Road Performance: When you are driving on the road all the time, off-road vehicles hardly do you any favor during steering and cornering. But not this BF Goodrich all-terrain tire. Whether you are just steering or cornering, you will feel the lightness as the tire spins and turns.
- Snow Performance: Do you drive a lot during snow? I mean, who doesn’t if it is necessary? But if you drive way too frequently, even during the winter season, you can definitely rely on this one, as it performs better in snow compared to most other KO2 tires.
- Noise Level: The BF Goodwill All-Terrain KO2 tire also makes some noise when you are driving at a higher speed. But I feel like that is pretty normal and expected. Yet, the noise is not too loud to bother with.
- Thread Life: The tire is tear and wire-resistant, which makes it more durable than many all-terrain tires. But will it survive the disturbing gravel roads, especially if you drive in rural areas? Well, I am still to figure that out. But if it is surviving the rough and tough off-road terrains, I believe it can also survive that.
- Tear and wear-resistant sidewall rubber offers a durable lifespan
- Almost noiseless
- Excellent performance in mud, water, and snow
- Offers more grip and stability in snow than most all-terrains
- Popular and reliable brand
- Expensive (but worth it)
5. Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT All-Season Tire
The last one I have in today’s review article is the Copper Discoverer AT3 LT All-Season Tire. If you are looking for something versatile and one of the top performers at the same time, you are bound to like having this one.
Features and Benefits:
- Off-Road Performance: Since it is well-known that the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT tire for being an off-road performer, that is the first thing I tested and observed. Wet or snowy trails or gravels, the tire drove over well over pretty much everything, including holes.
- Heavy-Towing: The truck weighs almost 50 pounds and has a 3,159 pounds load capacity. Cooper Discoverer LT models are known for their excellent load and towing capacity. Now I know for sure that the tires do an excellent job when it comes to towing heavy vehicles.
- Threadblock: On the side of the tire’s thread block, you will see something like small ledges. They are between the tire’s blocks and bases, preventing stones and rocks from getting in and mud from sticking to the tire. This design effectively increases the tire’s lifespan by lowering the risk of fast wear and tear.
- Price And Warranty: The price for this vehicle is pretty much in the same range of the ones I mentioned already. If you have a mid-range budget, you should definitely go for it. And while most all-terrain tires come with a 50,000 miles warranty, Cooper Discoverer offers a 60,000 miles limited warranty. That, to me, was impressive and totally worth the deal.
- Suitable for towing heavy-duty vehicles
- Made for long-lasting performance
- Offers excellent traction even on wet and rough roads
- Versatile thread designs resist wear and tear
- Comes with a 60,000 miles limited warranty
- Not exactly the best performer in mud
How To Choose The Best 265 70r17 All Terrain Tires
When you are looking for a 265 70r17 tire, you will find many of them in the market. But who has the time to go through all of them?
The tires that I reviewed today are known for their better performance than most other 265 70r17 tires available. But if you want to explore more or pick something out of the list, you must ensure you pick the tires that offer all the important features and qualities.
So here is a buying guide to help you learn what to consider when getting the kind of all-terrain tires.
Since you are looking for a specific size here, you must be sure that the tire you are looking into has the right size. If it is big or small, it can be a hassle to exchange the tire. Though some people try to fit a different size tire to the wheel, it can cause various issues during driving and can cause serious damage.
Thread And Groove
The distance between the tire’s deepest groove and the surface rubber make all the difference. The more depth the tire has, the better traction it is likely to offer. And along with traction, the groove plays a vital part in getting more grip on terrains to ensure stability. So make sure to check the quality of the thread and groove.
On And Off-Road Performance
Most all-terrain tires perform well off the road. Their mechanism helps them cope with uneven and roughest terrains better as the tire is made to have a better grip on such roads. But some do perform on-road pretty well too. Though all terrains help you drive with stability both on and off-road, you can still take a test drive to see if it performs as you expect.
Other than on and off-road performance, you must check whether the tire will withstand different weather conditions. However, you must know that even all-terrains are not always reliable for snow drives despite performing extremely well in mud and wet terrains. For snow driving, you can rely on a snow tire for driving with more safety.
What makes people prefer all-terrain tires is that they are less noisy than regular tires and low-quality all-terrain tires. Nevertheless, you can be sure that it will be nothing like annoying loud and screeching sounds. And even though the tire produces noise, it can be a low hum and still tolerable.
Another reason that makes me pick all-terrain tires over regular tires is their jaw-dropping weight capacity. Just as the tires are heavy, robust, and reliable, they can also carry or tow heavier loads. If you are looking forward to towing vehicles, you should look into the load capacity to ensure the tire can take the load well.
Durability And Warranty
All-terrain tires are durable, all right. It also depends on what the tires are going through and how often or frequently you drive with them. However, most top-notch off-road tires can last 4-5 years minimum. But be sure to check the warranty period because most reputed companies offer a 40,000-65,000 mileage warranty.
Now finally, does the 265 all-terrain tire you chose seem worth your money? If you are still having doubts, the best way to be sure of that is by checking what people who used these tires are saying. You can check the feedback or the review section online to find out more about the tires.
How To Mount An All-Terrain Tire
Mounting the all-terrain tire require three major steps:
- Breaking the beads
- Removing the old tire
- Mounting the new tire
Once you have picked the best 265/70r17 tires, you can mount them to your truck or SUV in the following way.
Breaking The Beads
- Let the air out of the old tire.
- Carefully slip the bead breaker bar’s end between the rim and the tire.
- With your strength and weight, pull the bar down toward the opposite end of the old tire. The bead will begin to separate during the process.
- Now you need to repeat the process around the tire to ensure you have separated the beads. Turn the wheel over if you have to, if necessary.
Removing The Old Tire
- Spray some soapy solution over the beads of the tire. It will help you slide the tire over the rim.
- Now use the flat end of a pry bar to insert it between the tire and the rim. Make sure you don’t scratch the rim.
- Pull the bar upward to pull the tire over the rim. This process often works differently due to the shape of the rim.
- Keep repeating the process. You can take help from someone by letting them hold the tire to ensure it does not slip back.
- In this way, you can easily remove the old tire from the rim.
Mounting The New Tire
- Stop and check what your new tire’s orientation is. Because some have backward and some have forward direction to ensure maximum cleanout and better traction. And if you end up mounting the tire in the wrong way, you have to remove them and mount them again.
- Then fit the tire onto the wheel’s rim. You can work on the bottom beads by hand before moving to others.
- Just as you used a soapy solution to slide the beads down the ream, now you can use the same process to make it work backward.
- And in the same way, take help from another pair of hands to hold a pry bar to ensure the beads don’t pop back when you are working over the rim.
- Once you let the tire seat with the beads, use compression to fill the tire with air. Once you have inflated all four tires properly, your vehicle is ready to go out for a ride.
Mounting an ATV tire is not that easy. In fact, it is one of the most challenging things to do if you are not a professional. So if you are doing it yourself, make sure to take a break whenever necessary, stretch the muscles a bit, and come back with more energy to continue.
All-Terrain vs Highways Tyres – Which One to Choose?
FAQs About 265 All Terrain Tires
How are all-terrain tires different than regular tires?
What creates the major difference between all-terrain and regular tires is their performance level. off-road ties are made for tackling rougher road conditions, even in harsh weather. They offer more stability, control, less noise, and more comfort than regular tires.
How long do all-terrain tires last?
Due to the higher-quality technology, material, and system used for the tires, most all-terrain tires are very durable. However, it is hard to say how long they will last because it depends entirely on the tire’s overall quality, how frequently you drive it, and on which road and weather conditions. Nevertheless, an off-road can last for as much as 50000-6000 miles or at least 5 years.
When do I need Off-Road Tires?
The first reason you will need to get off-road tires is only if you drive more on off-road terrains than on-road. Secondly, off-road tires work well both ways, so you will need to spend extra money buying different tires for driving in different road conditions.
Do more aggressive all-terrain tires perform better?
That depends on where you drive on a daily basis. If you drive more on city roads, all-terrain tires are not exactly the best option as they perform better off-road.
Benefits of Using All Terrain Tires
So there you have it! That was all for my review on the best 265 70r17 all terrain tires. I hope my reviews help you understand all about these tires, and the buying guide will help you pick all-terrain tires on your own if you want to choose something outside the top list.
Remember that all-terrain tires can be pretty aggressive. And not all of them will work in the same way. So it is up to you to check, test, and decide which one will be the best for your vehicle and for you.