Your truck bed is as important as the rest of your vehicle. You haul almost anything on it and can even create a makeshift chilling space. So, you cannot leave it in the open to gather dust, dirt and get damaged. That’s why there are truck bed covers to protect the bed from such damages.
Other than protecting the truck bed, such a cover also enhances the look of your vehicle. Moreover, if you are carrying anything on the bed, the cover can protect them.
Gator has always been among the popular brands for tonneau covers. This brand sells soft and hard covers with different price ranges. My team and I have found a few such covers. That’s why today, we will discuss the top 5 Gator tonneau covers reviews.
Top 5 Gator Tonneau Covers Reviews
1. Gator ETX Soft Roll Up Tonneau Cover
You cannot talk about Gator covers without mentioning the Gator ETX Soft Roll-Up tonneau cover. It is versatile, easy to install, and suitable for any weather.
- Functions: This truck bed cover provides excellent functionality due to having effective sealing feature. It prevents water from leaking inside the cover. The roll-up feature makes it easier to roll back the cover when needed.
- Material: The cover is made of vinyl and robust aluminum cross-bows for support. These materials are suitable for such roll-up tonneau covers.
- Installation: You can install the covers without any drilling because they come with the necessary clamps. The fastening buckle will help you keep the cover rolled back to the back window.
- Compatibility: You will get different cover sizes in the Gator ETX series. Choose the size that suits your vehicle most. These are perfect for covering your entire truck bed.
- Access: The cover will give you full access to its pockets. The clamps will not interfere with this part.
2. Gator ETX Soft Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
It is also an affordable tonneau cover with a simple installation method. So if you want something protective for your truck bed, consider getting this one.
- Material: The cover is made of industrial-grade leather grain vinyl. It makes the cover durable and suitable for any weather.
- Design: You are bound to like the low-profile design. It is made to protect both the truck bed and anything you keep underneath the cover.
- Protection: The leather cover ensures all the dirt, dust, and particles stay away from your truck bed. You can go out even in rain or snow without worrying about leakage.
- Installation: It is a no-drill tonneau cover. You can set up the entire cover in half an hour. But it is better to get an extra pair of helping hands to install faster.
3. Gator Recoil Retractable Tonneau Cover
Retractable tonneau covers are more popular because of their simple yet effective design. Since most users love them, Gator made sure to provide its customers with the best retractable tonneau covers. And the Gator Recoil Retractable Truck Bed Tonneau Cover is one such model.
- Material: This truck cover is made of industrial-grade leather-grain vinyl. According to users, this material is more reliable than others.
- Design: This is a retractable model. It means you only need to push it backward. The design is entirely user-friendly, and you can install it in a short time.
- Security: The Gator Recoil Retractable tonneau cover comes with a custom lock system. You can lock the cover at any point of the truck bed’s rail. It allows you to carry different sizes of cargo.
- Performance: The aluminum slats contain black powder coating and resist corrosion. Moreover, the material ensures protection from UV rays and scratches.
- Warranty: Gator has got your back! The tonneau cover comes with a two years warranty, and the brand is ready to help you solve any issue.
Gator Recoil Tonneau Covers Video Review
4. Gator EFX Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
Gator hard tonneau covers are excellent for any situation and weather. Though soft covers are good enough, users often prefer hardcovers for longer durability. So here we have the Gator EFX Hard Tri-Fold Truck Bed cover.
- Style: You have already read about the ETX Soft Tri-fold tonneau cover. The folding design here is similar, except you get the hardcover. Nevertheless, folding the cover back is pretty simple.
- Material And Design: It has heavy-duty aluminum panels with a flush-mount design. Aluminum makes the cover durable and robust. It comes with rubber seals and drain tubes to ensure the water does not damage anything.
- Protection: Gator used a premium-quality rubber seal to ensure cargo protection. The inner drainage system will keep water away from the truck bed.
- Installation: You hardly need anything to install this hard truck bed cover. It doesn’t require any drilling. You only need a wrench to tighten the clamps and existing bolts.
- Access: You can access two-thirds of the bed access with this tonneau cover. Depending on the size of the hauling object, you can open and close the cover.
Video about Gator Tri-Fold Pro Tonneau Cover Review
5. GatorTrax Retractable Electric Truck Bed Cover
Wouldn’t it be great if you could open or close your truck bed’s cover just by clicking a button? Well, looks like your fantasy has come true. The GatorTrax Retractable Electric Truck Bed Cover is exactly like that. If you are not worried about a big-budget truck bed cover, check out our final review.
- Material: This aluminum cover has a black glossy finish. Look how shiny it appears, and you will even see your reflection. The material has LEXAN, which is similar to the material used in bullet-proof glass and airplane windows.
- Control: The cover comes with a remote control key to allow you to open or close it with a single press. It works much like a keyless car, which we believe is very modern and impressive.
- Operation: Drop your worry about maintenance. This electric cover comes with sealed ball bearings that require zero maintenance and never freeze.
- Security: The manufacturer claims that this GatorTrax electric truck bed cover is more secure than a cab. Well, with all the excellent features and remote control system, it is hard to disagree.
Best Gator Tonneau Covers Buying Guide
There is a difference between knowing which one is best and how to choose the best one. Learning from the top 5 Gator tonneau covers reviews is not often enough.
Just because we are talking about covers doesn’t mean any random cover will work. Gator tonneau covers come in various sizes, styles, and materials. So let’s learn about the essential qualities they must possess.
Not every pickup truck has the same size. The truck bed size often differs from one to another. So it is mandatory to know your truck bed’s size to find the right tonneau cover.
Gator has both soft and hard covers. You can choose from their foldable, roll-up, or retractable tonneau covers. This part depends mainly on the buyer’s choice. So choose the type that seems more suitable and flexible to you.
As I mentioned, you will find both soft and hard tonneau covers. And they both tend to have different materials.
Soft covers are usually made of fiberglass and aluminum, whereas hardcovers are made of vinyl. No matter which material they have, make sure they are water and UV-resistant.
If the cover prevents you from accessing the bed easily, you have chosen the wrong one. Soft covers are usually more accessible than hard ones. It would be best if you chose folding or retractable covers.
Your truck’s bed cover is for protecting the bed. So it is essential to choose a cover that will protect the bed or whatever you keep on the bed well-protected. It should be entirely weatherproof.
Generally, installing a truck bed cover does not require a lot of tools or effort. However, some of them can be a little tricky, and you may need a professional’s help.
But if you want to save some bucks, choose a truck bed cover that is easy to install. A cover that is easy to install is usually also easy to remove.
The durability of a Gator tonneau cover depends on a few factors. Other than the material, it depends on the use, maintenance, and weather condition. You should go for something that comes with a standard warranty.
Will the money you plan to spend on the tonneau cover be worth it? Well, that depends on how much you are ready to pay. There are indeed various options for you at a budget price.
But if I’m honest, you do get a better tonneau cover when you spend more. So consider your budget before you come to a final decision.
Benefits Of Installing Gator Tonneau Covers
The reason we purchase tonneau covers is for the advantages they come with. But are you aware of all their benefits? If not, have a look at the following.
Protects Truck Bed And Objects
Since the truck bed is always open, it is exposed to harsh weather, dirt, and dust. While the rest of your truck gets plenty of attention, this part often gets less care. But once you add a tonneau cover, it works as a protective material.
Not only does it help keep the truck bed dirt-free, but it also protects the bed from UV rays. And anything you keep underneath the cover remains safe from dust, dents, and scratches.
An exposed truck bed with various objects on it looks like an invitation for thieves. It also becomes easier for them to grab anything off the bed easily.
The cover works as a protective layer on anything you keep inside it. It is the exact type of security you need for anything you keep in the truck bed.
Improves Gas Mileage
Not many people agree with this at first, but it is true that a good tonneau cover can improve your vehicle’s gas mileage. It happens because of the cover’s aerodynamic design.
An open truck bed often costs more gas as it goes through more air drag. But as the cover helps keep the entire bed covered, it helps improve gas mileage.
Convenience And Versatility
Tonneau covers mean an extra piece of style for your truck. When you purchase the right cover, you will handle it with enough flexibility. Besides, they add a versatile look to the vehicle.
If you haul large objects on the truck bed, you can fold the cover partially or remove it if necessary. Some covers allow you to adjust various accessories, such as tools, towing accessories, and more.
When the tonneau cover boosts your gas mileage, it saves your fuel expense. In the same way, it adds reselling value to your vehicle as it is an extra feature.
Moreover, having a cover means protecting the truck from various issues and damages. It means you get to save some maintenance expenses as well.
How to Install Gator Truck Tonneau Cover (Video)
FAQs About Gator Tonneau Covers
How To Clean A Tonneau Cover?
The suppliers usually give you an instruction on how to clean your truck’s tonneau cover. But the basic cleaning method involves applying the suggested cleaning product on the cover surface first.
Then you need to wait for the mix to sit. Finally, you can wipe off the cleaning mix using a soft cloth or towel.
Do Tonneau Covers Improve Gas Mileage?
Though this topic is still debatable, some studies show that using a tonneau cover can improve up to 5%-8% of gas mileage. But it mostly depends on your truck and driving speed. So, I suggest not getting your hopes up.
Is A Soft Or A Hard Tonneau Cover Better?
Honestly, it depends on the person purchasing the tonneau cover. In the case of soft vs hard tonneau covers, some prefer soft covers as they are easier to remove. You don’t even need to install it permanently on the vehicle.
On the other hand, hardcovers are more durable as they can handle more roughness. That’s why some people choose the hard tonneau covers.
Are Tonneau Covers Waterproof?
Almost all tonneau covers are waterproof and weatherproof as they are exposed to everything. However, be sure to check if they really are water-resistant. And you also need to make sure you have closed the edges properly when installing so that the water will not get in.
If you would like a shortcut, let’s narrow down the list from our top 5 Gator tonneau covers reviews. I recommend the Gator Recoil Retractable Truck Bed Tonneau Cover if you only care about performance regardless of the price. You can choose the GatorTrax Retractable Electric Tonneau Cover for more efficient use.
However, if you are looking for something budget-friendly, you can pick from the Gator ETX Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover and the Gator ETX Soft Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover. Both of them are easy to install, user-friendly, and versatile.
Nevertheless, make sure you are purchasing the right size cover for your truck bed. Otherwise, it will not fit well and provide the necessary benefits.