Diesel trucks are monstrous and heavy-duty trucks and are also known for offering excellent fuel efficiency. However, cranking the truck engine can be a pain in the back, especially if you are in a rush. And it can also happen often during the coldest days when the truck sits idly for many hours.
But if you use a battery that is meant to withstand any weather condition, you wouldn’t have such an issue. On top of that, if your old Dodge Ram 2500’s battery is running out of its life expectancy, it is time to get a new one.
But of all the truck batteries available on the market, it is not easy to find the best and most suitable battery for your diesel truck. So the question is, what is the best battery for Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel truck?
I hope you have enough time because this article will help you find one such battery for your Dodge Ram. I will also provide information on choosing the best battery, maintaining it well, and knowing when to replace it.
Top 5 Best Battery For Ram 2500 Diesel Reviews
With Dodge Ram being so popular among heavy-duty truck users, it is only natural for many brands to offer batteries for this vehicle. But it is up to you to think and decide if you want to invest blindly or wisely to improve your daily commute experience. If you have the latter in mind, I suggest you check out the following reviews on Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel batteries.
1. Optima Batteries OPT8014-045 D34/78 YellowTop Battery
The Optima OPT8014-045 battery is known for its excellent cold-cranking capacity and powerful performance. Moreover, if you want something vibration-resistance for your Dodge Ram, you should check out this one first.
Features and Benefits:
- Higher Electric Loads: If your vehicle has a discharge rate more than the typical rating or requires a higher electric load, you can rely on the Optima OPT8014-045 D34/78 YellowTop battery. It can help you power up all electric components at once without any alteration.
- Spiralcell Technology: The battery has spiral wound cells at the center, and they are comprised of pure lead plates (two). Moreover, they are coated with lead oxide. Though this technology offers better control, they make the batteries more expensive.
- Deep Cycle And Cranking Power: This deep-cycling 12-volt battery has 750 cold-cranking amps. And with a 120 reserve capacity, you can expect nothing but a powerful performance and instant start even on the coldest days.
- Safety And Efficiency: One of the best things about this battery is that it offers you a flexible vertical mounting position. It is also spillproof, charges faster, and offers 300+ recharge/discharge cycles.
- Does not require any alteration
- Spillproof and easy to install
- Offers quick kick-start
- Slow discharge rate
- Reduces vibration
- Very expensive
- Poor customer service
2. Optima Batteries 8004-003 34/78 RedTop Battery
Here is another from Optima, but this RedTop model has a slightly lower permanence rate than YellowTop one. However, The Optima 8004-003 34/78 is a suitable option for most vehicles, including Dodge Ram with a regular start engine.
Features and Benefits:
- Fitment: So what type of vehicle will it fit without any issue? Well, the Optima 8004-003 34/78 RedTop will fit most stock vehicles. It is a perfect fit for diesel vehicles without any aftermarket electronics. And also the heavy equipment ones, where the primary function is the starting.
- Performance: This Optima 8004-003 34/78 also has a 12-volt battery and 800 cold-cranking amps, making it the perfect battery for the harshest weather. On top of that, it offers 15 times more resistance to vibration than regular batteries.
- Reliability: Since the battery helps you kick start your vehicle even on the coldest days, you can rely on it for an instant start. Moreover, the spillproof designs offer maximum safety as there is no risk of acid spillage.
- Reserve Capacity: The lead acid battery has an excellent reserve capacity. You can expect 100 minutes of consistent performance and not any less.
- Comparatively less expensive than the previous YellowTop model
- Instantly kick starts the vehicle even in the coldest weather
- Easy to mount and spillproof
- Recharges really faster
- Reliable for reducing vibration
- Not suitable if you want to power up extra accessories
- Comparatively shorter lifespan
3. Odyssey 34-PC1500T Automotive and LTV Battery
Since most modern vehicles, including diesel trucks, are equipped with various electronic parts and accessories, you need something that can easily keep up with all of them. In that case, the Odyssey 34-PC1500T Automotive and LTV Battery is a must-check for you.
Features and Benefits:
- Affordability: When it comes to finding the best diesel truck battery, getting essential quality and efficiency at an affordable price is pretty challenging. However, I was pleased to find all such essential qualities at an affordable price in this one.
- Low-Temperature Performance: The battery is designed to deal with intense road or weather conditions. Its 850 cold-cranking amps offer a super fast start with all other electronic components, even when the weather is below -40°C or as high as 60°.
- Charging/Discharge Capacity: With such a high-power lead battery, Odyssey 34-PC1500T offers higher voltage performance for a longer period. You can expect it to be fully recharged within 6 hours and receive up to 400 cycles as it has a slow discharge rate.
- Durability And Warranty: What makes this battery more worthy of your penny are its lifespan and warranty service. The battery itself offers 3-10 years of service life, making it one of the best on the market, although it might not last that very long. On top of that, the company offers 3-4 years of replacement (limited) offers.
- Affordable price
- Suitable for too-low or too-high temperature
- Has a very durable lifespan
- Resists vibration and does not spill acid
- Fast charging capacity and low discharge rate
- May not last as long as the company offers
- Performance decreases over time
4. XS Power D3400 XS Series AGM Battery
The XS Power D3400 XS Series AGM battery’s price also falls in the expensive category. But would you consider it worth spending money after you find out what it offers?
Features and Benefits:
- Protective Design: The first thing you need to know about the battery’s design is the absorbed glass mat and the sealed lead. This duo helps protect the vehicle and its components from excessive vibration and prevent acid spills.
- Performance: AGM batteries are known for their top-notch and robust performance. From salt or dirt track to dragging boats behind, the battery will offer a maximum power boost to your Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel vehicle.
- Cold Cranking Amps: This battery from the XS Power D3400 XS Series has a jaw-dropping 1000 cold cranking amps with a 3300 amps maximum output. So when you have this battery, you can just sit back and start your vehicle engine in one go without any delay.
- Installation And Efficiency: There is no need for venting as these are sealed batteries. So maintaining it is fairly easy. And you can easily install it following the installation guide without much trouble handling the battery as it is comparatively lightweight.
- Value: As I mentioned at the beginning, this isn’t exactly your budget-friendly diesel truck battery. On top of that, the battery comes with M6 terminal bolts for instant and easy mounting but not the battery posts, which will make you spend extra bucks on purchasing them. So make sure you know if you want to invest higher.
- Robust and spillproof design
- Easy to install
- Minimizes vibration
- Powerful performance even in the coldest weather
- Very expensive
- Does not come with battery posts
5. ACDelco Gold 94RAGM AGM Battery
The last one I picked for today is the ACDelco Gold 94RAGM AGM Battery. It is the perfect diesel truck battery if you want something long-lasting with a satisfying performance.
Features and Benefits:
- Design: For the positive plates, the battery has a full-stamped grid. It makes the battery less prone to corrosion issues and increases its longevity by 65%. On the other hand, the same frame grids used for the negative plates boost electrical flow by 65%. And the overall design is made to increase cyclability, helps resist vibration, etc.
- Cold-Cranking Amps: The battery has an impressive 850 cold-cranking amps at 0° F and 1020 CCA at 32° F temperature, making it the best battery to tackle the most challenging weather or road condition. And with 140 minutes of reserve capacity, it is the best option you will get for the money.
- User-Friendliness: The ACDelco Gold 94RAGM AGM Battery is one of the heaviest AGM batteries you will find. However, with a spillproof and vibration-resistance design, you can definitely call it the top diesel battery for the money.
- Safety: While all batteries contain chemicals and toxic elements, the ACDelco Gold 94RAGM AGM Battery comes with a warning label to wash off your hands well every time you handle the battery. Because the battery’s terminals, posts, and other components contain lead and other lead compounds known to be responsible for cancer and reproductive health issues.
- Budget-friendly price
- Reliable designs resist corrosion and vibration
- Works efficiently in low and high temperatures equally
- Vent caps prevent acid leakage
- Contains highly toxic substances and requires careful handling
- Limited warranty period
How to Buy the Best Battery For Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
If you know all about vehicles and their accessories, you may already know what you are looking for in a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel truck battery. However, if you are the opposite, you must know what to look for in such a vehicle battery to ensure you get the best one and something worth the money.
And to ensure that, you must look into various factors, such as the battery type, compatibility, cold-cranking amps, reserve time, build quality, durability, etc. So I have made the following buying guide to help you find the best battery for your Dodge Ram truck.
There are two types of Diesel batteries: AGM and Lead-based batteries.
AGM batteries are popular for their high power performance, higher cold cranking amps, and the ability to power up different electric components of the truck in one go. They also have a slow discharge rate and last a very long time. Moreover, AGM batteries are eco-friendly, and most parts of the batteries are recyclable.
On the other hand, lead-based batteries look similar to AGM batteries yet function differently. Though they are more suitable for warm weather, you can still expect a satisfying performance from them. And based on your reference, you can choose between gel and wet cell lead batteries.
Of course, you will need a battery compatible with your vehicle. And that involves the battery model, battery size, and power capacity. First of all, you must consider the battery’s model. The description of the product will tell you whether it will fit your vehicle.
Based on the model, the size of the battery will vary. So to ensure it fits your vehicle, you must know the battery size your vehicle requires and look accordingly. And, of course, the battery needs to have enough power to offer a top-notch performance.
In most cases, the battery’s weight depends on its size and build quality. Still, you can consider a battery that is not way too heavy. Besides, if the battery is comparatively lightweight, you can handle it more comfortably, especially if you are installing it yourself.
So what is the amperage output of the battery? You must know the answer if you plan to take out your truck during warmer or cold weather or drive it on rough roads.
For a vehicle like Dodge Ram 2500, the minimum amp discharge needs to be 7.2 amps for 30 seconds.
Suppose your vehicle is turned off, but you have got the radio turned on to enjoy some music while you chill. And then suddenly, you realize the vehicle battery is dead even though the truck wasn’t running. Well, that says a lot about the vehicle’s reserve capacity.
Because when the vehicle has a longer reserve capacity, it will run a long time even with a 2.5 amps output rate. While lead-based batteries have a regular reserve capacity, AGM batteries can still keep about 80% charge even after running for hours.
Value and Warranty
If you are investing a good amount of money in the battery, its performance and durability should make up for it. Though most of these batteries last a few years easily, you should still consider the design, material, and other qualities to ensure they will last longer. Moreover, you can look for a battery that comes with an extended warranty period to get the best service.
If you check out the batteries I reviewed today, you will notice that almost all of them offer installation ease. Several of them come with an easy mounting process, and you can set them up following the user manual. And even if you buy one outside the list, make sure to consider the installation process to get a hassle-free option.
When To Replace Diesel Truck Batteries?
You have known about some of the best Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel truck batteries and how to choose one. But what about knowing when you need to take a look at the battery or change it?
Well, here are the signs that will tell you when to check or change the battery.
Engine Starts Slow/Engine Not Starting
The easiest way to know whether the Diesel truck battery needs to be checked or replaced is by considering the amount of time for the engine to start. If the engine takes longer than usual to start, that could be a sign of a battery issue. And if the battery is completely out of life, the engine will not start at all.
A damaged battery no longer functions properly. And sometimes, the issue can begin with acid leakage. If that is the case, you will get a bad smell, like something rotten, coming from your vehicle. So when this happens, you must let a professional check the battery.
Battery Case Damaged
If the battery goes through harsher weather than its tolerance level, it can get damaged or shorten its lifespan. If the battery is exposed to too cold weather, the case can crack easily, making it malfunction. The same issue can happen when the battery goes through a higher temperature condition, and the case swells up.
Engine Check Light On
Now this one is a bit tough to follow. The Engine Check Light can be on or blink for many reasons. But it can also happen when the battery starts to run out of juice. So the best way to know if the light is on because of the battery is to check the user manual.
Issue With Electrical Parts
The battery powers almost all the electronic parts and accessories of your truck. So when an issue shows up with the battery, it affects those electrical parts and accessories. And if the battery is not strong enough to power everything simultaneously, the battery will die faster.
Have you seen that there are certain metal parts on the battery? They can be corroded over time pretty easily. And if the corrosion issue becomes too severe, it can affect the battery’s performance, especially with starting the vehicle.
Let’s not forget that batteries do not last forever. As the battery ages, it starts losing its capacity, power, and performance level. And when that happens, it also starts to affect the vehicle’s performance.
How to Replace Battery on Dodge RAM (Video)
How To Increase Truck Battery’s Life Expectancy?
Want to increase your vehicle battery’s life expectancy? Here are some tips that will help you.
- Whether in hot or cold weather, try to park the vehicle somewhere indoors or in the shade so that the vehicle will not be too exposed to the harsh climate.
- Try to minimize the use of electronics when the engine is off or use them only when they are necessary.
- Batteries can lose charge even when you leave the vehicle idle for days. So the best way to ensure the battery does not run out of power is to fully charge it at least once a week with the charger. You can also do it by interchanging the battery with a fully charged one or going on a ride.
- Test the battery with a multimeter or battery tester after 3-4 years.
- Make sure to check your batteries regularly because maintaining the battery regularly is essential.
- Watch out for corrosion during regular maintenance, check the water level, and look for signs that tell you something is wrong with the battery’s health.
FAQs About Diesel Truck Battery
How long does a Diesel truck battery last?
The longevity of a diesel truck battery or any vehicle’s battery depends on various factors. First, it depends on how often you drive and how long you drive on your truck. Then it also depends on the road and weather conditions, along with the battery’s power, quality, and overall capacity.
Is higher CCA better for Diesel trucks?
The cold-cranking amps of the battery determine how fast the engine will crack in extremely cold weather. That is why the higher the CCA is, the better your truck will perform. That is why checking the cold-cranking amps before buying the battery is important.
How do you know when to change or replace the battery?
The most obvious sign of a bad battery is that it will start slow or not start at all. You may also notice bumpy rides, bad smells, electrical parts not responding correctly, etc. If any of these signs show up, you should get your truck battery checked or replace it.
Should I get an AGM or Lead-based battery?
Both AGM and lead-based batteries are excellent for Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel trucks. Which one you choose depends entirely on your vehicle type and your requirements. However, AGM batteries are more popular these days and are eco-friendly.
The Dodge Ram 2500 is a powerful and heavy-duty vehicle. So when it comes to getting a battery for it, you must not compromise for anything. And that is why I decided to share from my experience to help you find the top-rated battery for this vehicle.
But what is the best battery for Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel? Well, you can either pick one from my top list or find one following the buying guide. And make sure to maintain your truck battery to boost its lifespan and a better riding experience.
Leave a Reply