Getting on and off large vehicles can be troublesome for many users. And if you have young kids or older people who ride with you, you need to consider adding side steps for their benefit.
Vehicle side steps or running boards are like blessings for short, young, and older people. It makes getting on or off the car or truck effortless. Besides, having side steps provides your car with various advantages.
After lots of debates and discussions, my team and I have picked some of the best side steps for the Chevy Silverado. And that’s what today’s article is all about. So let’s hop on and ride further into it.
Top 10 Best Side Steps For Chevy Silverado
1. AMP Research 76154-01A Electric Running Boards
There is no better way to begin the review article without bringing the most versatile one at first. Yes, the AMP Research 76154-01A is a power step set that is automatic. They are reliable and have an extreme weight capacity.
- Material: These side steps are made of stainless steel and aluminum. The combination makes the side steps robust and enables it to handle roughness.
- Automatic: These are electric-powered running boards. So when you open your vehicle’s door, they will automatically extend. And they will slide back as you close the doors. The integrated LED light system provides a cooler look and visibility at night.
- Weight Capacity: These AMP running boards have a 600-pound weight capacity. That puts them among the few side steps with such capacity.
- Convenience: The boards are wide and make it easier to step on them while getting on and off the vehicle. Thus, they are convenient for anyone from young to old age.
- Durability: The Anodized and PTFE coating ensures the boards remain corrosion-resistant and ensures longer durability. Besides, these side steps come with a 5-year limited warranty.
- Automatic side steps
- Durable and robust materials last a long time
- The wider design ensures the user’s comfort
- Massive weight capacity
- Very expensive
2. Tyger Auto TG-RS2C40048 RISER Crew Cab Side Step
One of the many reasons to prefer Tiger Auto side steps is their affordable price and stepping comfort. It has a basic wide design and comes in color black. But that’s what most people want.
- Length: Here, you will get 4 inches of side steps. It means you will get more space to step on, ensuring safety when someone gets on and off the vehicle.
- Pre-Drilled Holes: The Nerf bars come with pre-drilled holes for installation. Thus, it saves a bit of your installation time and effort.
- Coating: The entire side step has an E-Coat inside-out. The black powder coating protects the board from UV rays. Moreover, the wider pads are slip-resistant and reliable.
- Design: Don’t let its ordinary look fool you. The black running board has a simple and regular design. Yet, its stepping pads provide essential safety and comfort.
- Compatibility: Unfortunately, it will not fit the 2019 model with the new body style. But as long as your vehicle has four full-size crew cab doors, it will fit perfectly.
- Affordable price
- UV and corrosion-resistant body
- Wide and comfortable stepping pads prevent slipping
- The pre-drilled feature makes it easy to install
- The bracket is a little flimsy
- Only fits crew cab trucks
3. Tyger Auto TG-RS2C40038 Double Cab Side Step
Here is one more similar best side step for Chevy Silverado from Tyger Auto for you. These boards are equally popular, reliable, and affordable as the previous one. Then why am I mentioning a similar model? You will know why.
- Compatibility: These side steps are for two types of vehicles. They will fit an Extended Cab and a Double Cab. The previous model only fits Crew Cab with four full-size doors.
- Fitment: The vehicle models they will fit are the 2007-2018 Chevy Silverado, 2007-2019 Chevy Silverado, and the 2019 Silverado LD. However, they are not suitable for the 2019 Silverado.
- Installation: Installing side steps is time-consuming. But as the step boards come with pre-drilled holes, a little bit of your time will be saved.
- Reliability: These 4-inch steel tubing side steps contain black powder coating. As a result, you get something reliable, durable, and comfortable.
- Comfortable stepping on
- Affordable price
- UV resistance prevents the coating and color from wearing off fast
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Easy to install
- Low corrosion resistance
4. APS iBoard Running Boards
The first thing that caught my attention about running boards from APS iBoard is their wider and more modern design. Not only do they look stylish, but they also provide top-notch performance.
- Design: As soon as you look at the design, you will notice how similar it looks to a modern phone. That’s because the design was inspired by it. It adds a more versatile and stylish look to the side steps.
- Size: The APS iBoard width ranges from four to six inches. You can choose the size based on your needs. The wider the size, the better it is to step on the boards.
- Material: The side steps are made with aircraft-grade aluminum and stainless steel. They also contain polished finishes that give them a more modern appearance. The anti-slip protection ensures you step on the boards without any issues.
- Compatibility: You will be able to install these boards on 2007-2018 and 2019 Chevy Silverado with Crew Cab.
- Weight Capacity: The boards are robust and can take 300 pounds weight. With a 6-inch wide space to step on, this weight capacity will be helpful for anyone.
- Wide stepping area
- High-tech build quality makes it durable
- The installation process is simple
- Provides maximum grip
- Metal brackets are thin
- Passenger side mounting is a little challenging
APS iBoard Running Boards Video Review
5. TAC Step Rails – Best Stylish Side Steps
TAC company knows that some of us like to install side steps for style purposes as well. And to enhance the beauty of your vehicle, the company has brought these stylish silver and black side steps. These Nerf bar side steps come in various sizes but still provide the same reliability.
- Material: These side steps are made from high-grade stainless steel. They are super strong and contain a heavy-duty double-layer finish. As a result, the bars remain corrosion-free and last a long time.
- Non-Slip Pad: As for their 3 inches wide stepping pads, they contain glossed black powder coating. They are slip and UV-resistant. So you can step on them without worrying about any issues.
- Fitment: These bars will easily fit the 2001-2018 Chevy Silverado, 2001-2019 Silverado. However, they are not for Crew Cabs. You must check for fitment before you place an order.
- Installation: The installation part would be easy with these TAC step rails. The bars already come with pre-drilled holes. If there are any, just cut off the DEF covers, and you will be good to go.
- Durability: The bats are robust and durable. You will also get a 3 years warranty against any manufacturing defects, which is a win-win deal.
- Affordable price
- Stylish look with robust material
- The bars have anti-slip padding
- Do not require any drilling for installation
- Have an excellent weight capacity
- Hangs a little lower
6. MaxMate Side Step Rails
If you have liked the TAC Step Rails, you need to look at these step rails as well. MaxMate manufactures custom-fit side steps for various vehicles. I chose these models as they will make your vehicle stand out wherever you go.
- Compatibility: These Nerf bars are not for Crew Cabs with full-size four doors. However, they will fit the Extended and Double Cab with two full-size front doors.
- Fitment: The MaxMate Step Rails will also fit the 2001-2019 Chevy Silverado, 2019 Silverado 1500 LD. But they will not fit the new 2019 Silverado model.
- Material: The bars are made with heavy-duty stainless steel. They are sturdy enough to handle harsh weather and rocky streets.
- Padding Grip: Step on them with confidence. The rubber padding steps have a strong grip and prevent you from slipping during rainy or snowy days.
- High-grade stainless steel is corrosion-resistant
- Anti-slip paddings are safe to step on
- Enhances the vehicle’s exterior beauty
- Fits most Chevy Silverado models
- Pre-drilled bars are easy to install
- Paddings are not very durable
How to Install Nerf Bars Side Steps
7. YITAMOTOR 6.5 Inches Side Steps
The YITAMOTOR 6.5 Inches Side Steps are many users’ favorite for their excellent quality and reliability. So it would be silly not to include it for our best side steps for the Chevy Silverado list.
- Material: The side steps are made of solid aluminum. And as you know, aluminum is one of those materials that make the boards durable.
- Size: While most side steps come in 4 to 6 inches, these YITAMOTOR side steps measure 6.5 inches. It means you will have a lot more stepping areas than average boards.
- Weight Capacity: The YITAMOTOR side steps have a weight capacity of about 350 pounds. So even if a heavy person uses them, there is no need to worry.
- Coating: Along with the high-quality aluminum on the body, the running boards contain an E-coating matte black finish. Manufacturers performed several salt spray tests to ensure they remained corrosion and UV resistant.
- Accessories: So, what else is in the package? Other than two side steps, you will get an instruction manual, all necessary mounting brackets, and hardware.
- Versatile design and anti-slip padding
- High-grade material makes the boards durable
- The wide design gives you more stepping space
- Customers think more support brackets should be included
8. Auto Dynasty 5″ Oval Tubing Side Step
If you are looking for a top-rated running board that you can install without any cutting or drilling, make sure to check the Auto Dynasty 5-Inch Oval Tubing Side Steps. It is built to be corrosion resistant and adapt to go through any weather.
- Stepping Area: The side steps have a width of 5 inches. The oval tubings are slip-resistant and comfortable to step on.
- Weight Limit: Each of these side steps can take up to 500 pounds of weight. So if you are worried that someone with a heavyweight will damage the steps, just shake off the thoughts.
- Material And Coating: Now, what are they made of? The stepping tubes are made of stainless steel and have a powder coating. That’s enough to tell us that the stepping tubes are reliable enough.
- Fitment: The side steps will only fit Crew Cabs with full-size doors and a 1999-2014 Silverado. But make sure you discuss it with the retailer before you purchase them.
- Have massive weight capacity
- Easy to install with the pre-drilled holes
- Stylish appearance
- Enough stepping area ensures comfort
- Poor instruction
9. Tyger Auto TG-AM2C20248 Star Armor Kit
We have got another set of side steps for you from Tyger Auto. And these are not your regular stepping boards. These Tyger Auto TG-AM2C20248 models have a different design and look. Though the boards may look frail at first glance, they are stronger than you think.
- Design: The boards have patented star designs on the stepping pads. The manufacturer has crafted the design using laser technology.
- Weight Capacity: Each robust step is capable of handling up to 300 pounds. So weight will not be a problem for these side steps.
- Fitment: The side steps will not fit the 2019 Silverado. And they only fit models with gas cap shapes. If you have any model other than Crew Cab, these side steps are a big NO. However, they will fit the 2019-2021 Chevy Silverado.
- Protection: Since the side steps are made with metal tubes, it is natural to worry about water getting in and damaging the tube. Fortunately, the tubes have sealed end caps that keep water and dirt at bay.
- Unique design makes your truck look stylish
- Sealed end caps keep the water and dirt from entering the tube
- The texture finish makes it slip-resistant
- Pretty heavy
- Comparatively expensive
10. TAC Black Steps Tails for Chevy Silverado
The last one on today’s list is another set of step rails from TAC. These black step rails are as versatile as the previous ones, except glossier. So what else could be better than these to style your Chevy Silverado?
- Versatility: TAC step rails are known for their versatility. If you want to add some stylish outlook with a set of reliable step bars to step on, these are definitely your gem.
- Material: These rails are made with alloy steel. And alloy steels are durable and reliable when it comes to bear heavy weight loads.
- Coating And Finishing: The entire body of each step rail contains a semi-gloss black powder finish. Thus, they appear shinier and resist corrosion and UV rays. Besides, the 3 inches poly wide setting pads are slip-resistant.
- Installation: You will notice that the step rails come with pre-drilled holes for installation. Usually, drilling on side steps requires a lot of time and effort. So having this feature will keep you free of hassles.
- Fitment: Unless your vehicle is a regular cab with two doors or Crew Cabs with four full-size doors, these step rails are not for your truck. Moreover, they only fit the 1999-2018 Chevy Silverado.
- Versatile design enhances the vehicle’s exterior
- The black semi-gloss texture is corrosion resistant
- Comfortable slip-resistant stepping pads
- Easy to install with pre-drilled holes
- Comes with a 3-year warranty against manufacturing defects
- Plastic caps often pop out when stepped on the bars
How To Choose The Best Side Steps For Chevy Silverado?
Wrong choices always lead to bad situations. You can say the same when purchasing the best Silverado side steps. You must consider the following things before you make your final decision.
Why do you want to purchase the side steps? Ask yourself this question before you consider anything else.
Some people get Side Steps to make the vehicle appear more stylish. Other people buy them to protect the vehicle from scratches, dents and help them get on and off.
If the purpose is only to enhance the exterior’s look, you should purchase something that looks stylish and cool. However, if you purchase it for the second or both reasons, you must consider the material, stepping comfort, and durability.
There are different types of side steps to choose from. My head spins every time I think about them. But here we go!
If you are not looking for something too stylish, you can choose from regular OEM side steps. They are sturdy and have lengths between three to six inches.
If you want to add a little more fun, you can go for side steps with built-in LEDs. Not only do they make your Chevy Silverado look cool, but they also provide excellent visibility at night.
And then there are retractable side steps that you operate with power. Sounds luxurious, doesn’t it? And of course, there are other side steps like Nerf bars that come in oval and circular tube shapes.
Side Step Material
Side steps come in three types of materials: plastic, steel, and aluminum. While plastic side steps have shorter durability, steel, and aluminum last longer.
Steel side steps and heavy and sturdier than others. If you track off-road, steel side steps can easily handle the roughness.
On the other hand, aluminum side steps are comparatively lightweight and corrosion-resistant. When it comes to strength, it is not as robust as the steel ones.
Plastic side steps are commonly used, and they are more affordable. Such side steps become slippery during rainy or freezing weather.
Considering the material of the side steps is definitely essential. But it would be best if you also considered the steps material.
Most side steps contain the same material as the entire step. Some of them have plastic or rubber material. And as I mentioned a moment ago, plastic steps tend to get slippery.
Rubber paddings are better but make sure the padding contains high-quality rubber. But it would be better if you choose side steps that contain the same step material as the rest of the body.
Side steps for the Chevy Silverado come in different sizes. They usually range from 3 to 6 inches in width. Think about why you want to purchase the side steps, and then consider the size you need.
If your goal is to add stylish side steps, you can purchase narrow ones. If stepping comfort is your main goal, wider designs would be better. It gives you more space to keep your foot on.
Weight capacity plays a major role in choosing side steps. Even if you are getting them for style purposes, you can end up stepping on them sometimes. So the best thing to do is to purchase side steps that have an excellent weight capacity.
Most of the side steps come with a maximum 300 pounds weight capacity. That’s why I believe it will not be a tough decision to make.
Coating And Finishing
Considering the coating and finishing used on the side steps are almost as necessary as the material. You are likely to find chrome coatings, powder coats, anodizing, and PTFE or Teflon coating.
Each coating has different results and works in different ways. Let’s say you want shiny side steps. Then you have to go for Chrome. But if you would like a matte look, powder-finished side steps are suitable for you.
To be honest, almost all the side steps for the Chevy Silverado are less challenging than you imagine. Your vehicle may already have the holes where you need to bolt them during installation.
Nevertheless, it is essential to know whether the side steps or running boards you want to have are compatible with your vehicle. Otherwise, you have to go through the extra hassle of drilling holes and bolting the boards to your truck. And to make matters even more expensive, you may need help from professionals.
No matter what you purchase, always consider the cost. Calculate all the essential features you want in your vehicle’s side steps, and you will know what your possible budget should be.
If you want robust, sturdy, and top-notch side steps, it will be pretty expensive. But the good news is, there are plenty of options for anyone with a low budget.
How To Install Side Steps On Chevy Silverado?
The installation process depends on the year and type of the vehicle, along with a few more things. So when you get yourself the right side steps, the instruction will tell you everything. But if you still want a simple step-by-step guideline, here is one for you.
Step 1: Find The Holes
To begin the installation process, it would be better if you started from the driver’s side of your vehicle. Look around the pre-drilled holes under the vehicle.
These are for installing running boards or side steps. If you cannot find any pre-drilled holes, you will have to drill them.
Step 2: Mount The Brackets
You will find rubber plugs in the larger holes. Remove them with the head of a screwdriver to mount the brackets.
You can mount the brackets with the necessary nuts and bolts that come with the package. The clip nuts will go into the largest holes. And the others are for threatened nuts. Then mount the other two brackets and tighten them.
Step 3: Set Up The Side Steps
Now place the side step on the brackets. Step back and check if the position seems safe. The board should not block anything.
Step 4: Bolt The Side Steps
Once you find the right position for your Chevy Silverado side step, the next task is to bolt it into its place. Install it using the bolts but do not tighten the bolt at one go. Make sure the step is set perfectly, and then tighten all the bolts.
Step 5: Install The Passenger Side Board
Now go to the passenger side and repeat the last three steps. But remember to be careful with the fuel tank.
The board should not interfere with anything. However, if the situation seems the opposite, you can lower the fuel tank a little.
Step 6: Final Checking
The final step is to check if everything is as it should be. Take a look at the nuts and bolts again to ensure nothing is loose.
Then try getting in and out of the car. If everything comes out positive, your Chevy Silverado sidestep installation is complete.
Practical Video for How to Install Side Steps
Advantages Of Having a Side Steps For Chevy Silverado
What do you think are the advantages these side steps or running boards come with? Let’s check some of the advantages of installing the running boards for Chevy Silverado.
- Safety: Vehicles often suffer from dents and scratches, especially in rocky areas. Side steps work as shields and make sure your car exterior does not suffer from such issues.
- Customized Look: Some of us add side steps to make the vehicle exterior appear more stylish and luxurious. They come in various sizes, shapes, and designs. So it is easy to choose according to your choice.
- Convenient: If the truck is pretty high, side steps will help the older and younger people get in and out without any trouble.
- Prevents Slipping: Whether it is a rainy or a snowy day, slipping while getting off the truck is horrifying and embarrassing. But if your vehicle has side steps, they prevent those sudden embarrassing falls.
- Vehicle Cleanliness: When you get on the truck after stepping on the boards, it works like a doormat and removes most of the dirt underneath your shoes.
Frequently Asked Questions About Nerf Bars
Can I Buy A Single Running Board For My Chevy Silverado?
No, you cannot buy a single running board if they come in pairs. Besides, installing one side step will expose the other side of your vehicle to damage. So there will be no point in getting the boards if they do not serve the purposes.
Is There A Difference Between A Nerf Bar And Running Boards?
There is hardly any difference between a Nerf bar and a running board. The only thing that separates them is their design.
The Nerf bars have narrow surface areas. On the other hand, running boards are usually flat and broader.
How Much Weight Can They Hold?
Most running boards or side steps have a 300 to 400 pounds weight capacity. Some of them can bear more than 500 pounds. Since the only weight the side steps will have to bear is the weight of a person getting on and off the truck, you don’t have to worry much about it.
What Are The Best Running Boards For Chevy Silverado?
It is not easy to speak of a few running boards specifically. The best ones should be those that come with all the essential features and last a long time. But you can take a look at our Best Running Boards For Silverado to know more.
Now that we are at the end of the article, I hope you have taken a mental note of which one to choose. But if you are still not sure, let’s narrow down the list and recommend some of the best side steps for Chevy Silverado for you.
If a wider and more comfortable side step is your priority, I recommend purchasing the APS iBoard Running Boards. As they are automatic, you can control them efficiently. The YITAMOTOR 6.5 6.5-inch side Steps and the Tyger Auto Side Steps also fall in this category, even though they are not automatic.
On the other hand, if budget is not an issue for you and you want something more robust, you can pick the AMP Research 76154-01A Side Steps. These boards are durable and can take a massive weight load. Their intrigued LEDs also add style to your vehicle.
And since we are talking about style, I would also recommend checking out the TAC Step Rails if you are looking for something cool at a budget price. But don’t forget to go through the buyers’ guide and fitment details before making a decision.