Every car owner wants their car to perform its best. But unfortunately, the rise of temperature in vehicle motors decreases gas mileage. That’s the last thing you want, especially if you own a Ford 6.7 Powerstroke.
But now there’s a solution to this problem. The CIA or cold air intake is precisely what your vehicle needs to improve its performance. Cold air intakes contain an airbox that draws cooler air from areas around the device and keeps the motor temperature low.
There are many air intakes available in the market. How will you know which one is the best cold air intake for 6.7 Powerstroke?
My team and I went out, spoke to both professionals and sellers to find the answers. And today’s article contains 10 such cold air intake reviews and more.
Top 10 Best Cold Air Intake For 6.7 Powerstroke Reviews
2. Cold Side Intercooler Pipe Upgrade Kit
If overheating is an issue with your vehicle, you can check out this Cold Side Intercooler Pipe Upgrade Kit from Rudy’s Diesel. It contains high-quality material and is sturdy enough to last a long time. So if you are serious about getting an air intake kit with satisfying performance, this review is for you.
- Design: The pipes contain aluminum with a polished finish, which makes them durable. They can go on performing a long time without frequent servicing.
- Heat Control: The intercooler hose pipes are there for a reason. Their job is to keep the engine heat in check. It means the engine will not go through excessive heat.
- Acceleration: As the system boosts your vehicle’s airflow and power, you will be able to enjoy better acceleration.
- Kits: So, what are you getting in the box? You will get one aluminum pipe with a quick disconnect flange and one aluminum cooler pipe with sensor housing. You will also have two silicon boots, four constant-tension T-bolt clamps.
- Keeps engine heat under control
- Comes with multiple kits
- Affordable price
- The filter is easy to clean and suitable for reuse
- The clamps could have been bigger
- Installation is pretty challenging
3. S&B Filters 75-5085 Cold Air Intake
One more cold air intake system from S&B for you. This one provides more airflow than the 75-5104D model, which is why it is one of our top choices. You will find everything in this cold air intake system, from premium quality material to high efficiency.
- Engine Breather: A right cold air intake system will work like oxygen for a vehicle engine. Kudos to the S&B 75-5085 model for being such a system.
- Reusable Filter: The system includes an 8-ply cleanable oiled filter. It means you can wash the filter when needed and reuse it.
- Battery tray: This system will come with a battery tray. It’s because the system requires a particular position for both the battery and the system. It helps improve the airflow.
- Efficiency: While the S&B 75-5104D model proves 33.71% more airflow, this one provides around 55.97%. Now you can imagine what you are getting yourself into. With that much airflow efficiency, you will get better speed.
- Design: The construction and design are very modern. The clear lid adds more versatility to the air intake system. Moreover, it is designed in a way to avoid check engine lights.
- Versatile construction with durable material
- Comes with a more airflow system
- Easy to install
- Legal in all US States
- Worth the value
- Can decrease gas mileage
4. aFe Power Magnum FORCE 54-11872-1 Intake System
If you live anywhere in the US, other than California, you will find this review helpful. The aFe Power Magnum Force 54-11872-1 cold air intake system is another such system that helps improve your vehicle’s performance. It has a cool design, robust features, and can boost motor power.
- Oiled Media: You are getting a 5-layer pre-oiled cotton media in this air intake system. The perk of this feature is that this media is simple to clean and washable.
- Filter Adapter: Additionally, the system comes with a three-angle adapter. It is a big deal because it helps speed up the airflow with the filter.
- Performance: This cold air intake system adds 26 horsepower to the engine. Thus, it provides 64% more airflow than regular air intake systems.
- Installation Ease: Installing the air intake system does not require any drilling or modification. So you do not have to go through any extra hassle or use different tools for that.
- Legality: The downside of this cold air intake system is that it is not legal for sale in California. If your vehicle is registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles, you cannot use this system in your vehicle.
- Increases horsepower
- Improves overalls performance
- No drilling required for installation
- Media is washable and reusable
- Durable material keeps it around for a long time
- It is not CARB exempt
- Not legal to sell in California
5. aFe Power Magnum FORCE 54-32412 Intake System
Here is another aFe Power Magnum Force air intake system. This 54-32412 is a 2-stage intake system with a combustible outflow level. It is made with durable material and has multiple-layer cotton media. This cold air intake system is easy to maintain, which is also why we chose it.
- Material: This brand understands the importance of a heat-resistant intake system. That’s why aFe used a one-piece powder-coated shield which is made of steel and heat-resistant. You can bolt it directly under the bottom of the stock airbox.
- Roto-Molded Tube: This air intake system contains roto-molded intake tubes. These tubes are designed to increase efficiency and performance. At the same time, it lowers the level of increasing temperature.
- Outflow: This 2-stage cold air intake system outflows the factory intake 113%. No wonder why it works so efficiently.
- Hassle-Free Installation: The manufacturer kept the installation process as simple as possible. You can mount the system with minimum effort by using standard tools.
- Weight: Most air intake systems are heavyweight due to all the material and hardware they carry. However, this cold air intake system weighs only 5 pounds. Its weight makes it easier to handle.
- Filter media is easy to clean
- Comparatively lightweight
- Increases airflow and efficiency
- Prevents the engine from getting hot
- Affordable price
- It’s pretty loud
- Not very durable
6. K&N 71-2582 Cold Air Intake for 6.7 Powerstroke
Everyone who knows quite a bit about cold air intake systems is familiar with this brand. K&N has manufactured various air intake systems. The K&N 71-2582 has a world-class design, robust material, efficiency, and an extended warranty.
- Acceleration: Better towing means better performance. This cold air intake system provides a better throttle response. It boosts the vehicle’s acceleration and uphill performance.
- Protection: The air intake system has a high-quality design that prevents dirt and particles from harming the tube. The additional 50% airflow protects the engine by preventing overheating.
- Maintenance: An air filter that requires less maintenance is better for both you and your vehicle. And this air intake system’s filter does not require any cleaning for up to 100,000 miles.
- Warranty: The manufacturer provides a 10-year/million mile warranty period. So now you know that you can ride your 6.7 Powerstroke with this cold air intake system without stressing over its longevity.
- Sound: With a better airflow and cool engine, the vehicle’s sound will change too. You will realize that your truck no longer creates any loud and annoying sound.
- Extended durability
- Ensures more airflow
- Does not require frequent cleaning
- Protects the engine from dust and overheating
- Pretty expensive
7. K&N 63-2597 Cold Air Intake Kit
If you want to invest your money in something worthy, you can look into the K&N 63-2597 Cold Air Intake Kit. It is comparatively less expensive than the previous model, has long durability, and provides maximum performance.
- Protection: With the innovative design of multiple layers, the filtration system contains thousands of microscopic cotton fibers. As a result, it protects your engine from dust more effectively.
- Installation: This cold air intake system is easy to install. You do not need to use lots of tools other than regular pliers, screwdrivers, and ratchet sets. Moreover, the entire installation process takes about 90 minutes to complete.
- Filter: K&N is offering you a gigantic conical-shaped air filter. You can set it up using mounting points and factory holes. The filter is effective in collecting dust. It is also easy to clean and washable.
- Horsepower: This cold air intake system is dyno-tested. It guarantees increasing horsepower and acceleration. Moreover, it increases airflow up to 50%.
- Maintenance: You do not have to worry about going through any maintenance issue for 100,000 miles. The system will go a long time without requiring any cleaning. So this low-maintenance part works as an advantage for everyone.
- Provides a 10-year extended warranty
- The filter is washable and easy to clean
- Does not require frequent maintenance
- Increases airflow along with acceleration
- Improves engine sound
- Not CARB approved
8. Spectre Performance 9075 Air Intake Kit
Spectre Performance 9075 Air Intake Kit has the exact design and versatility you need for your vehicle. It is made with sturdy material, improves engine performance, and is user-friendly. On top of that, it is one of the most affordable air intake systems with high-quality performance.
- High-Quality Media: This cold air intake system has high-quality synthetic media. It also contains urethane and steel mesh. As a result, it protects the engine more effectively against damaging contaminants.
- Airflow: The manufacturer has run a dyno-test on this Spectre Performance 9075 Air Intake Kit. And turns out, it provides 50% more airflow than regular stock intake systems.
- Engine Sound: After installing this system, pay attention to the sound once you start your vehicle’s engine. You will immediately hear the sound power under the hood. But it will not be a pain to your ears.
- Material: The intake tube is made of polished aluminum. The heat shields contain a black powder coating. The materials are heat resistant and won’t suffer from damage.
- Accessories: The package contains a heat shield, intake tube, air filter, flex coupler, oval coupler, two edge trims, velocity adapter, and other kits. It means you will get everything you need. And installing the air intake system will only require some basic tools.
- The price is budget-friendly
- High-quality materials are heat-resistant
- It ensures more airflow and acceleration
- The filter media protects the engine from harmful particles
- Versatile design and easy to install
- Not very fuel-efficient
9. Sinister Diesel Cold Air Intake for 6.7 Powerstroke
If budget is not an issue with you, but you would like something that appears classier, then make sure to check out the Sinister Diesel Cold Air Intake. This air intake system’s performance is as shiny as it looks. Daily drivers will find it more helpful than others. That’s why they use these air intake systems more than other types of users.
- Material: It has aluminum tubing. The CNC mandrel bending tube is effective for proper airflow. This signature Sinister blue air intake is polished and contains powder coating.
- Performance: This top-notch aluminum intake tube was designed in a way to ensure maximum airflow and performance. Though there is a debate regarding its effectiveness as a cold air intake, most users agreed that it increases engine capacity.
- Filtration System: Here, you will get reusable oil-filter media. It is effective in catching dust and other particles. And as it is washable and reusable, it will last a long time.
- Purposes: Users believe that it is a multi-purpose air intake system. You can use it in towing, racing, and daily driving.
- Versatile blue design with powder coating
- Suitable for multiple drivings
- Easy to install
- Lasts a long time
- Media is effective in keeping dust at bay
- Very expensive
- A little bit heavier
10. Airaid 403-278 Cold Air Intake System
Finally, we have the Airaid 403-278 Cold Air Intake System. Not many people have explored its capacity yet. But after going through its features and a test, we can assure you that this one is as reliable as the previous nine air intake systems.
- Air Pump: The Airaid 403-278 Cold Air Intake System has a giant air pump. The advantage of such a pump is that it ensures more airflow and allows the engine to breathe.
- Horsepower And Acceleration: This air intake system contains a combination of high-grade components, style, excellent fitness, and finish. And the overall design ensures better gas and diesel applications.
- Filter Media: Airaid will provide you with premium filter media. The media is both washable and reusable. You can choose from dry and oiled filter media.
- Installation: The installation part is as simple as ever. Grab your regular standard tools such as pliers, ratchet sets, and screwdrivers, and you will be good to go.
- Warranty: If all these aren’t enough already, wait till you find out what else Airaid offers. The air intake systems come with a “no-hassle” lifetime warranty. Cool, right?
- Controls engine temperature
- Durable and reusable filter media
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Easy to install and maintain
- Allows the engine to breathe more
- Does not improve mileage as much as it claims
Best Cold Air Intake For 6.7 Powerstroke Buying Guide
How would you know if you are purchasing the best cold air intake system if you choose to go out of our review list? The answer is pretty simple: you look for some essential features and qualities before you purchase it.
The cold air intake system must be compatible with your vehicle, and it should have heat-resistant and durable material. Other than those, you also need to watch out for the intake tubes, dust, and water resistance ability.
One air intake system can indeed fit various vehicle models. But it is best to know whether the one you want to buy will fit your car properly.
Most manufacturers mention which vehicle models will fit which cold air intake. So make sure you read about them ahead of time or ask the seller before purchasing.
The material is what changes the entire game of a cold air intake system. It changes the heat from the surroundings and then supplies air.
Unfortunately, this system will fail without suitable material. That’s why you need to look for heat-resistant materials. It will boost the motor’s efficiency.
Now, think about which type of cold air intake you want. You will find two types:
- True Cold Air Intake: The true air intake system aims to move air as far as possible. This system is more effective when it comes to sufficient airflow.
- Short Air Ram: This system is pretty efficient. Besides, a short air ram system ensures better airflow. The design reduces the amount of plumbing or fabrication work it needs.
The movement of air is another essential feature to look into. You will find a cold air intake system with both straight tubes and curved tubes.
The best way for air to move from one end to another is by having a straight tube. Curved tubes are not bad, but it prevents uninterrupted airflow.
Dust And Water-Resistance
Since the cold air intake system sucks in air from surrounding areas, it is not uncommon for dust and debris to get in. A perfect air intake system will filter dust efficiently so that it does not interrupt its functions.
Also, your vehicle will have to go through all sorts of weather. So it is not unusual for air to get in. But the intake tube should not suck in water. It can lead to engine failure.
Choose a cold air intake system that has simple installation instructions. Professionals can install any such system without a lot of trouble.
But if you are not a professional, it can be a little challenging for you. So look for the one that seems easier, even to a newbie.
It is challenging to tell which cold air intake system will last longer and which one will not. Sometimes, even if you get every other feature right, the system can perform low or stop working in a short time.
The least you can do is ensure getting a model that fits your vehicle, can flow air without interruption, and resist dust and water. Don’t forget to check the warranty period of the cold air intake system you chose.
Let’s not forget about the price. Some of us keep a budget for anything we purchase. The same goes for the vehicle’s air intake system.
The price can vary based on your vehicle’s brand, model, and the cold air intake’s quality. Nevertheless, you will find many different models with low to high price ranges.
You can’t expect your vehicle or its air intake system to perform exceptionally without caring and maintaining it from time to time. The system needs minimum service to ensure efficient airflow.
How to Install an Aftermarket Cold Air Intake
Here is a step-by-step guideline for you so that you can install a cold air intake easily.
Step 1: Disconnect And Disassemble
First, turn off the engine and engage the parking brake. Disconnect the negative terminals of the batteries and air-flow sensor. Then pull out the locking tab.
Step 2: Remove Other Parts
Loosen the stock intake cover and its clips to remove the intake system. Then remove the stock intake system’s hoses.
Step 3: Installation
Seal the silicone air tube into the airbox. Place the foam piece on the airbox and secure it with provided hardware. Then set the rubber washer, which should be on top of the battery tray. Install the box into your vehicle and bolt secure it.
Step 4: Final Installation
Install the air filter into the airbox and secure it. Make sure you have secured the lid properly. Finally, reconnect the batteries and start the vehicle for a few minutes. It will help blend the airflow.
Benefits Of Cold Air Intake In Vehicle
Why do you want to purchase the best cold air intake for 6.7 Powerstroke? I believe you are already aware of the benefits you and your vehicle will get from it. If not, you can find out here.
More Power/Gas Mileage
A cold air intake system boosts the combustion of your vehicle. As a result, it gains more horsepower. You will notice a better throttle response once you start using a cold air intake.
A cold air intake system improves the airflow. It works better than a stock system. And when the airflow works without any issue, it will accelerate the engine control.
The biggest benefit is that a cold air intake system will prevent overheating of the engine. When the engine temperature stays under control, you automatically receive other advantages.
Any standard cold air intake system will come with a disposable filter. It will collect any dirt, debris, and other particles. The best one among them has easy filter removal and cleaning systems.
What happens after a cold air intake increases your vehicle’s acceleration system? It creates a bold and strong sound as the cold intake improves the airflow.
Do Cold Air Intakes Really Increase Horsepower?
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Cold Air Intake
Just like every other thing, a cold air intake can also become faulty at some points. But how will you know if there’s a fault in your vehicle’s cold air intake system? Well, you need to watch out for the following signs.
Engine Performance Reduction
The easiest way to detect a faulty cold air intake system is to notice the engine performance. If you see that the vehicle has lost speed, throttle, and horsepower, the air intake system is likely to be faulty.
You already know that the purpose of using a cold air intake system is to prevent the engine from heating up. So when the opposite happens, it’s time to fix the system.
Using More Fuel
A faulty air intake system will require more air. Thus, it will eat up fuel more frequently. That’s another way of knowing the system is faulty.
Frequently Asked Questions About Cold Air Intake
What Does A Cold Air Intake System Do?
The main thing a cold air intake system does is provide your vehicle engine with cold air. This system prevents the engine from overheating and improves the vehicle’s gas mileage and overall performance.
Can I Install A Cold Air Intake System Myself?
Yes, you can install a cold air intake system yourself, as the instructions are pretty straightforward. You can still do it without much problem, even if you are a newbie. But if you cannot understand the instructions, it is better to take help from a professional.
How Much Does A Cold Air Intake System Cost?
The cost of a cold air intake system is between $50-$300. The price varies depending on the design and material of the air intake system. It also depends on which vehicle they are compatible with.
How Much HP Does A High-Grade CAI System Improve?
Generally, a cold air intake can improve the horsepower of 5 to 20 ponies. It can be more or less depending on the vehicle and cold air intake system types. It will also improve fuel efficiency and create roaring sounds.
Can I Cold Air Intake System Damage The Vehicle’s Engine?
It is highly unlikely that a cold air intake system will do any damage as it is for improving your vehicle’s performance. However, if dust, debris, or other particles get stuck in the intake tubes, it can reduce fuel efficiency and decrease engine performance.
The best cold air intake for 6.7 Powerstroke is the one that fits your vehicle, has reliable & durable material, will keep the temperature low, and boost your vehicle’s performance. So if I am to pick one such system, I would recommend the S&B Filters 75-5104D Cold Air Intake. You can call it the all-rounder of all air intake systems.
If you want something that will give off a different vibe and yet perform excellently, you can go for the Sinister Diesel Cold Air Intake system. But if you need something budget-friendly, I suggest you pick the aFe Power Magnum Force 54-32412 Air Intake System.
Remember to discuss with the seller to check if the model is suitable for your vehicle. It is better to choose something easier to install and maintain.