Car lifts have always made working with cars more convenient. It helps you fix car issues, inspect for damages and repairs, helps with oil change, and more. And if you are living in a residential area or have a smaller home garage, a car lift can help you get an extra parking space.
So when it comes to efficiency in managing cars and getting more space, people prefer to rely on 4-post car lifts. That is why I decided to highlight my experience with the best 4 post car lift for home garage.
Remember that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of such car lifts in the market. So while I have not gone through all of them, I picked a few from the most popular ones among users. And finally, I settled on a list of 5.
In this article, I have reviewed all of my top choices. I have also shared a buying guide, the pros and cons of 4-post car lifts, etc. So feel free to go ahead and read to find the right car lift for your home garage.
Best 4 Post Car Lift For Home Garage Review
While there are plenty of good-looking and stylish 4-post car lifts out there, not all will ensure what is best for you, your vehicle, and your home garage. So after several tests and going around with professionals, I have picked the following 4 to review for you.
1. TRIUMPH NSS-8 8000 Lbs 4 Post Auto Car Lift
I couldn’t have found a better 4-post car lift for a home garage than the TRIUMPH NSS-8. Whether you have a small family car or an SUV, this car lift will do both easy liftings while adding a parking space.
Features and Benefits
- Overall Size: The lift has a height of 84”, drive-through width of 93”, a runway length of 165”, and the overall length is 175”. So you can fit any car or truck pretty easily in this versatile car lift.
- Weight Capacity: Another perk of having a larger dimension is that it allows the lift to house heavier vehicles. This TRIUMPH NSS-8 car lift comes with an 8000 lbs weight lift capacity. However, it is best not to lift cars weighing more than 6000 lbs to 7000 lbs.
- Power And Installation: This car lift powers up with an 110V motor. So there is no need to worry about excessive power consumption. On the other hand, the installation process is pretty straightforward.
- Storage Efficiency: While the larger dimension of the lift takes up a lot of your garage space, it adds extra parking space in exchange for that. The robust design helps you park a car hoisted on the lift. And you can use the clear ground below to park another car or as storage for other things.
- Convenience: The lift also comes with caster kits for easy portability. However, you must not use the kits with a car hoisted on the lift.
- Offers maximum safety and security
- Suitable for larger cars and trucks
- Easy to set up
- Helps get an extra parking space
- Installation instructions might be challenging for beginners
- Larger size takes up a lot of garage space
2. Auto Lift 4 Post Car Lift
Auto Lift has been a reputed name for manufacturing some of the best car lifts. So when it comes to 4-post models, it did not disappoint.
Features and Benefits
- Lift Size And Height: The overall length of the lift with the ramp is 207-1/8”. And the overall width from base to base is 103-1/2″. And as you lift it up, you will get a height of 74.75 Inches. So we can say that the lift has the right height for a home garage.
- Weight Capacity: Due to its solid construction and smooth finish, it has an excellent capacity to lift vehicles weighing up to 8000 lbs. However, as I said before, it is best to hoist vehicles slightly less heavy than the lift’s weight capacity.
- User-Friendliness: Everything about this car lift is automated, making it quite convenient for inexperienced users. However, I found the instruction manual pretty vogue, making it challenging for beginners.
- Reliability: The aircraft cables used in the lift have the capacity to lift as much as 14,500 pounds. That makes it reliable enough for hoisting an 8000 lbs car pretty smoothly. On top of that, the lock release handles near the power unit helps you operate it safely.
Related Post: Top 5 Best Headlight Bulbs Review for Ram 1500
- Does not require bolting the lift to the floor
- Offers portability
- Excellent for home garage
- Smooth operation
- The instruction manual is hard to follow.
3. Atlas Garage Pro 9000 Portable Heavy Duty 4 Post Lift
When it comes to buying the best car lift for a home garage, the car lift from Atlas is something I did not want to miss. And it turned out I was right to explore because I found this Atlas Garage Pro 9000 Portable Heavy Duty 4 Post Lift to be yet another reliable car lift for the home garage.
Features and Benefits
- Material And Finish: The lift body frame is made with durable alloy steel to offer maximum stability. The casters are made with polyurethane, which prevents the weight or movement of the lift from damaging the floor.
- Weight Capacity: This robust car lift weighs 300 pounds, which is pretty lightweight compared to most heavy car lifts in the market. And with its solid construction and durable material, the lift has a 9000 pounds weight capacity.
- Convenience: You must also be aware of the lift’s extra tall and wider size. It means it will claim a good portion of the garage. But you also get an extra parking space, which makes everything fair and square.
- Power: The car lift comes with a 110-volt motor or power unit to operate efficiently. But you will also need a 30 amp breaker to power it up.
- Accessories: This Atlas Garage Pro 4-post car lift comes with several necessary accessories. In the package, you will also get 4 plastic drip trays and 2 rubber wheel chocks with 4 wheel stops.
- Made with durable alloy steel
- Has a shiny finish
- Suitable to lift car easily
- Has safety release
- Offers a wider ground clearance
- The instruction is very complex, even for experienced people
4. Mayflower Blacksmith 8000 lbs Pro Four Post Lift car
For the final pick, I chose the Mayflower Blacksmith 4-post car lift. While the company is not commonly known when it comes to car lifts, you can certainly expect almost as much as you would from car lifts from any top-notch brand.
Features and Benefits
- Weight Capacity: This Mayflower Blacksmith pro car lift has an excellent capacity to lift up to 8000 lbs weight. Thus, it is suitable for home cars, and you can even use it for servicing or repairing cars.
- Single-Point Safety Release: For easy operation and safety, the manufacturer has used a single-point safety release feature. And it has 10 built-in locking positions.
- Ramp Safety: The ramps and the runways have ridged surface design. That helps park the car on the lift safely and prevent slipping.
- Cost: What disagreed with me about the car lift is its price. It is pretty high compared to its reputation, quality and performance. For that price, anyone would be willing to look for better options.
Related Post: Air Lift 25980EZ WirelessONE Review
- Well-built and solid design
- Excellent weight-lifting capacity
- It has a good height
- Comes with a 1-year full warranty
- Comparatively more expensive
Buying Guide for The Best 4 Post Car Lift For Home Garage
Buying a 4-post car lift is not exactly an easy task. You need to make sure the lift is robust enough to hold the car’s weight, whether it offers enough space for your car or if the lift’s functions are user-friendly, and if it offers everything at a reasonable price.
For your convenience, I have prepared the following buying guide mentioning what you need to look for and consider when buying a 4-post car lift for your home garage.
Does your home garage have enough space to house a car lift? That’s the question you need to ask yourself first. Other than the space, you must also know whether the garage ceiling height will be high enough and not be an obstacle when you lift it with a car on it.
Your garage floor should also be solid enough to hold the weight of the lift weight with a car on it. Experts recommend having at least a 4-inch floor slab. And if you are using heavy-duty lifts with a larger car to lift, at least a 6-inch thick floor slab is mandatory.
Life Space/ Size
Next, you need to consider the size of the lift and how much space it offers for lifting a car. If you have a large car and buy a smaller lift, it will neither hold the car nor lift its weight. Ending up with a larger lift is okay, but a smaller lift will be a big hassle because you may want to return it.
Do you move around your car lift a lot? Or do you intend to use the lift outside your home garage from time to time? If yes, then you need to consider buying a portable 4-post car lift model. Then again, pretty much all car lifts are potable.
They come with wheels that allow you to move the lift as needed. However, it is advised not to move the lift if you have a lifted car on it, just for safety measures.
When it comes to 4-post car lifts, the weight capacity can vary based on the manufacturer, lift size, height, construction, and more. It also depends on the lift’s weight valve.
And it is wider to choose a lift that has a higher weight capacity than the weight of the car you want to lift. Let’s say your family vehicle weighs around 3000-5000 pounds. Then you should go for a lift that has the capacity to lift and bear such a weight, such as a lift with a minimum of 6000 pounds or so weight capacity.
The higher the capacity power system the lift has, the higher the electric power you will have to provide. And if you are buying a 4-post car lift for your home garage, there is no need to go for high-powered lifts.
Most of the car lifts have a hydraulic-electric with an AC motor. And hydraulic-electrics are notorious for consuming more power. However, if you’re not using a huge car lift to lift heavier vehicles, you can use it with a household 11V power supply system without your electricity bill climbing over the roof.
There are several models of 4-post car lifts that are easy to install and set up. So even if you have little experience or no previous experience at all, you can still put it together without messing up or taking forever. In that case, you must read the installation guide properly to know if you should handle the steps.
On the other hand, an upgraded and multi-functional model can come with a complex installation process. It can also take hours or days to set up if you don’t know how to handle it well. And if you want to get professional help for installation, it can cost around $500 or more.
Your purpose in buying and using the 4-post car lift is also an important factor. If you are getting them to lift cars and increasing parking or car storage space, then there is no point in getting a heavy-duty lift. On the other hand, if you are getting such a lift to do servicing, repairing, and other related work as well, it is wider to get a lift with better capacity.
There was a time when a car lift came with free-falling hazards. But thanks to their modern and upgraded designs, almost all car lifts, especially 4-post ones, come with safety lock features that prevent vehicles from moving unexpectedly or falling off the lift.
Nevertheless, you must check if the lift’s safety features are compatible with your vehicle so that it will stay put in its place. The vehicle should not move much on the lift at a time. And having arm restraints is definitely a plus.
A 4-post car lift does not come at a cheap price. At least the top-notch or comparatively better ones don’t. So if you are investing in a car lift, make sure it lasts long enough to make your money worth investing. But how do you know the lift is durable?
Take a look at the materials, weight capacity, and maintenance guide. You must also know what the warranty period for the lift is and how good the customer service is.
A car lift has many parts and features. And all of them function differently. So it’s not a surprise that you might need various accessories to handle it. Make sure your 4-post car lift comes with antiskid runaways and other safety accessories.
While 2-post car lifts are comparatively low-priced, 4-post lifts are quite pricey. So you must keep a higher budget if you intend to buy one. The good thing about car lifts is that they stay around for a long time. So it is unlikely that your money will go to waste.
Related Post: Top Rated Hand Controls Review for Handicapped Drivers
Benefits Of 4 Post Car Lift For Home Garage
Need some solid reasons why you should get the best 4 post car lift for home garage? Here are some that will help you make the decision faster.
- More Storage: A 4-post car lift allows you to park a car on top and below it. So instead of 1, you get to park 2 cars easily in your home garage. Thus, the car lift offers you more storage space.
- Low-Cost Renovation: Imagine all the money you have to spend if you expand your small garage to have additional car storage space. You don’t need to do that when you have a 4-post car lift, which helps you save on renovation hassle and money.
- Ground Clearance: If you want more ground space, a 4-post car lift can help you with that. With your car hoisted up, you get more ground clearance if necessary.
- Better Repairing Access: A 4-post car lift gives you better access when it comes to servicing or repairing the car. As it allows you to lift the car higher, you can work on its lower area without lying below the car.
- More Weight Capacity: Usually, all types of car lifts have a higher weight lifting capacity. However, with a more solid design, 4-post car lifts have a better weight capacity than others.
- Safety: A 4-post car lift ensures all 4 corners of your vehicle are well-protected. Thus, you can fully rely on this type of car lift when it comes to safety.
Disadvantages Of A 4-Post Car Lift
Despite all the advantages, 4-post car lifts still have some drawbacks. So here is what you need to be aware of when considering buying one.
- Very Very High: One of the biggest drawbacks of 4-post car lifts for a home garage is the height. Such a car lift is quite high, which makes it challenging to fit one in every home garage. And even if you fit one, it would still be a challenge to do more work or move it around after installing.
- Takes Up More Ground Space: Not gonna lie, but 4-post car lifts are pretty wide. While it gives you additional parking or storage space, it also takes up a lot of ground space.
- More Expensive: With all the materials they come with, along with the additional features, 4-post car lifts are not cheap. In fact, they are always among the high-priced car lifts in the market.
4-Post Car Vs. 2-Post Lift: Which One Is Better?
Some people wonder if a 2-post car lift is better than a 4-post lift. If that is what prevents you from making the final decision, here is a comparison chart that can help you understand their differences and decide easily.
|2-Post Car Lift||4-Post Car Lift|
|Takes up comparatively less space||Takes up more space|
|Has a limited weight capacity||Has a huge weight capacity|
|Remains anchored to the ground||Portable|
|Price range is mid to high||Usually more expensive|
|Suitable for tire and other car repair access||Suitable for service and repair|
|Not suitable for getting storage space||Suitable for having more storage space|
|Reliable and safe||Reliable and safe|
|Requires 220V wiring to power up||Does not require special wiring to power up|
|Consumes more power||Consumes comparatively less power|
Now you can easily compare the 2 types of car lifts. The type of car lift you need depends entirely on the buyer’s purpose, working ease, and garage space. So in the end, it is up to you to decide which one is better. However, if you want extra storage, more ground clearance, and something that offers safety without consuming much electric power, a 4-post car lift is ultimately the best one.
How Much Does it Cost to Install a 4-Post Lift?
Installing a 4-post lift can vary in cost depending on several factors. Here are some of the key factors that can affect the cost:
- Type of lift: The cost can vary depending on the type of 4-post lift you choose, such as a standard or an asymmetrical lift.
- Capacity: The cost will also depend on the weight capacity of the lift. Lifts with higher weight capacities will generally be more expensive.
- Brand: The brand of the lift can also impact the cost. Some of the well-known brands in the market are BendPak, Atlas, and Challenger.
- Installation costs: The cost of installation can vary depending on the complexity of the project and the experience of the installer.
- Additional features: Some 4-post lifts come with additional features such as ramps, locking systems, and adjustable height arms, which can add to the overall cost.
Installing a two-post car lift usually costs around $500 or less. On the other hand, installing a four-post auto lift typically costs under $1,000. Keep in mind, in-ground car lifts are the most expensive option and can cost up to $10,000. So, if you’re on a tight budget, these might not be the best choice for you.
It’s also recommended to choose a lift from a reputable supplier that offers a warranty and good customer service. Investing in a high-quality 4-post lift can provide you with a safe and convenient way to work on your vehicles for years to come.
FAQs 4-Post Car Lift
How high does a garage need to be to have a 4-post car lift?
The garage height you need for a 4-post car lift depends on your car and lift height. To determine how high a garage you need, measure both your cars’ heights and add the height of the lift. Then add 2-3 feet extra to find the approximate height your garage requires.
How thick should the floor concrete be for a 4-post car lift?
The thickness of the concrete depends mostly on the lift’s weight capacity and how you plan to use it. However, it is recommended to have a 4-inch floor slab to have a 4-post car lift. And if you are using it for service or lifting heavy-duty vehicles, it is necessary to have a 6-inch thick floor.
Can I use the space below the lift as additional storage?
Of course, the perk of having a 4-post car lift is that once it lifts a car, it offers you an additional car storage space below. However, make sure the car lift will be safe for the cars above and below.
How much room do I need for a 4-post car lift?
Typically, you will need a clear area that is at least 11 feet in length and 7-8 feet in width for a standard 4-post lift. This will give you enough room to drive your vehicle onto the lift and provide ample space for working on it.
How to Install a 4-Post Car Lift
It is challenging to find the best 4 post car lift for home garage while there are so many out there. So the key to finding the right one is to know what to look for and what you need. And as you have read the entire article, you now know what to focus on.
This type of car lift not only offers an extra car parking space, but it is also convenient in many other ways. But while the installation part is often quite straightforward, it is best to let a professional do it for you if you find it challenging.